Insurance coverage of diapers???

Archives1

Staff member
I am hoping to get some feedback... does anyone have an insurance plan that covers the cost of adult diapers? Mine just told us we have no coverage for this but I know a family that gets coverage for their developmentally disabled adult child. Do insurance plans ONLY cover diapers if the patient is developmentally disabled? My son has nightly bed wetting but can handle his urine flow during the day so I am also wondering if Night Wetting is not considered a disability or severe enough condition? The diapers are sooooo expensive I don't see how they can say he does not need them...

Private insurance does not cover diapers. If you are on Medicaid they are covered, Medicare does not even cover diapers.

You can use HSA or FSA to help but yes regular insurance will not cover these. It’s rediculous but the insurance companies aren’t here for us there here for profit and that’s all!!

I have a really expensive health insurance plan that I pay dearly for and still have a $5000.00 deductible. My insurance doesn’t cover them at all. They told me that they are “convenience items” they do cover my Foley catheter supplies.

Thank you for your feedback everyone... I am so sad that insurance companies do not see diapers as necessities. I am very disappointed in our system for not covering things that prevent serious issues. From what I had found, Medicaid seems to be the only real coverage supplier that covers diapers and we do not qualify for that.

evans said:
Thank you for your feedback everyone... I am so sad that insurance companies do not see diapers as necessities. I am very disappointed in our system for not covering things that prevent serious issues. From what I had found, Medicaid seems to be the only real coverage supplier that covers diapers and we do not qualify for that.

The only other plan (besides Medicaid) that covers diapers is TriCare. That's the military coverage plan, and it's only available to active service military and disabled vets, as far as i know. All private insurance based their coverage platform on the Medicare formulary for the state. They make additions and exclusions from there. If Medicare were to start covering diapers, it's likely many private insurance companies would follow.