Incontinence Segment on the Radio/The Product Naming Debate

Archives1

Staff member
The other night on the news show "PM" on BBC Radio 4, they had an article about the issues men often have finding appropriate bins for incontinence products.
Link to programme (incon. stuff starts at 40.20):clickable text

It's certainly an issue I've had, even in disabled toilets there often aren't bins for incontinence products. It wasn't a great article to honest - seemed to just reinforce the stereotype of it being something that older men suffered from, rather than men of all ages. Plus, it didn't address the issues the physically disabled with incontinence suffer from and the need for changing places toilets as many (myself included)can't change standing up. I was surprised to hear that the people interviewed didn't want to use disabled toilets as I couldn't think of anything worse than changing in a cubicle in a normal toilet. Plus, due to my autism, I've always used disabled toilets as I find regular ones too noisy and crowded.

The big controversy was that the presenter used the "nappy" word, which sparked a lot of complaints. Personally, whilst I wasn't offended by the term, I found his tone a bit too jokey and it didn't help. It's an interesting debate and one I've seen on here a few times in terms of whether to actually call them nappies/diapers. Personally, I find the use of the term 'pad' a bit awkward as, to me a pad is a pad, rather than a pull-up or nappy/diaper. Plus, as I had to wear nappies as a kid until pretty late in the day due to bedwetting, I don't really see the products I use now as any different so call them the same thing. I also find a sense of ownership to it - calling them what they are is a bit empowering as I, ironically, find using euphemisms more embarrassing. However, I wasn't a fan of someone who (as far as I know) doesn't have incontinence problems using the term. It might also be my autism in that I'm quite particular about calling things what they are and have always hated euphemisms. I have also had medical professionals call them nappies in consults.

I also wonder whether it's a British, being overly reserved thing as I find that in America, they're frequently called adult diapers rather than 'pads'.

That was informative- though I thought they should have better differentiated what products are used by men.

My mother used to call my Goodnites what they are called in the United States "Special Underwear".

I prefer the term protection or brief. I don't like the term diaper - as it brings back negative memories from my childhood and what I was made to feel when I was a child.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

@jeffswet - Yeah, it very much felt like a radio segment designed by an outsider as it were. I'm grateful it actually got some airtime but it just felt like it scratched the surface and I think there's still a lack of awareness about how many younger people suffer from incontinence issues.

@Honeeecombs - Sorry to hear about your negative childhood experiences. I'm eternally grateful that my Mum was very matter of fact about it as a kid (and still is).

@Sci_Fi_Fan thanks for sharing the link. I think any discussion in the media about the difficulty men have disposing of products in public spaces is useful. Far better than the complete silence that usually surrounds the subject.

Regarding use of the "n" word, I do find it jarring and belittling to hear adult incontinence products described as "nappies". The word is doubly tainted by association with both childish accidents and with the fetish community. I prefer pad or product or protection, each of which carries less negative connotation.

@Phil6003 I agree - it was good to actually hear some talk about it for once. I think the Changing Places campaign has been great for raising awareness of how many disabled people incontinence affects.

I think my take with the naming issue is that I'm happy calling them that myself but I do get annoyed when other people use it, especially medical professionals. I'm still annoyed at the tone of my first consult with the continence team. To be fair, they have been the most helpful and told me how to do kegels properly so they've actually been pretty good since.

I get the issues about the childish connotations - one of the big frustrations I have being autistic is that most products and adaptive clothing is geared towards kids and even if they do adult sites, often the site is kid focused - I find it very infantilising.

I was recently hospitalized and had to wear diapers but I was elated to find that the nurses called them briefs. Cool.