Incontinence came in handy

Archives1

Staff member
I had lab work done recently, which included a urine sample in a cup. I knew that I might not be able to pee on command, and I was right. So I did what usually stimulates some flow - I coughed a couple of times, and, voila!, success.

What a great idea -- coughing a few times. Thank you for posting. It's hard to pee on command/demand for me too. Sometimes, flushing the toilet or turning on the water in the sink can cause me to want to pee. You know, the sound of running water. I usually have to drink a 20 oz. Bottle of Sam's Water at least an hour before I have to give a urine sample. Don't know about anybody else, but I rarely have a steady stream of urine. My urine goes all over the place. Makes it hard to collect! Why is that? Don't know!

Those are great ideas. I have a neurogenic bladder and can’t tell when I need to pee, so I have to use a catheter to get any urine to flow. What a pain but it works for me. Hopefully, other people have some good ideas too. This is an interesting subject. Take care everyone and may you all be blessed in your travels.

@pegasi99 I’m grateful I still have a steady stream, though I always have two separate sessions, one right after the other, I order to totally void. It seems like when my 74-year-old mom and I are in a public restroom together, like at the ballet, she takes FOREVER to pee, and I figure she must have a weak stream at her age.

One of the things to remember if you’re a female giving a urine sample is to make sure to spread your legs and lips wide enough so pieces of skin aren’t interfering with your stream and collection process.

@cyclist.com Thank you for the coughing idea. After my radical prostatectomy I have had stress incontinence and seem to leak continuously. I drink more before I go to the urologist and try to minimize movement before checkin. Then I give a sample but was only able to give about half. Luckily it was enough. Coughing would help. Best wishes to all.