Incontinence and the Kidneys

Archives1

Staff member
Is urge incontinence partially because the kidneys are just dumping fluid into the bladder all at once instead of regularly metering and controlling the flow? Is urge incontinence part of a kidney and ureter problem?
Are calcium stones in the kidneys a part of an urge incontinence problem?

It depends on the person for me I have an overactive bladder and at least as I understand the nerves in my bladder don't work correctly and tell my body it is full when it isn't and sometimes these urges are strong enough that my bladder lets go without control and when I don't want it to

Good question for a Urologist, I don't believe the kidneys dump a large volume of fluids in one shot, it is continual, it is the nerves that fail to tell the brain that the 'full' point has been reached, and then the problems start, just what I deal with as well when I drink anymore then a cup or two in an hour or so... when it arrives, it does in a big way, sometimes with not so good results! :-(

no. Urge IC is usually due to detrusor muscle instability. Nerves cause the detrusor to contract inappropriately.

The kidneys don't have any storage ability, they're always just trickling urine down to the bladder. In order for the kidneys to dump a large volume at once, they would need a place to store that urine until dumping it...no such structure exists in the body.

My Urge IC is also from too tense of muscles at times from work or home stress causing an inability to relax enough to fully let go of what needs to go and hence causing retention, and then comes another cup of water or more through the intake system which seems to go straight through so the dam holds until the dam is spilling over causing urge IC in part because my internal bladder neuroreceptors are completely chemically and electrically literally burned out so to speak so my brain does not get the signal until the fluid is bursting forth from a tank that is over capacity. So I use biofeedback to lower blood pressure, relax, and heat with a running faucet and a relaxing picture or relaxing magazine to let go right after fluid intake, double voiding, and frequent timed toilet trip visits. A portable heatpad helps in between, too. I have found these methods to be helpful and they have significantly reduced the number of field flooding incidents for me.

So many times I have been fine fine until all of a sudden a wave of cold temperature hits or a sudden high pressure stress from work or home hits. For the rest of my Urge IC cold temperatures and rain or snow from outside the body and or a sudden high stress event and or muscle injuries and or spinal cord problems can cause the bladder itself to spasm so for this all of the previous post list plus all sorts of insulation like hat, scarf, special inner heat vest or a regular vest, coat, gloves, pants, Long John's at times, layers of shirts, layers of sweater jackets under a good coat, boots and two pairs of dry socks, a second set of dry clean second clothes, snowpants, and warm indoors and emergency backups for power failures are required. Treat for shock from muscle or spinal cord injury and for the prevention or exposure of hypothermia. Keep your body warm.
This includes putting in enough fuel to stay warm so eat on time. Prevent the shivers cause that is part of the problem. Visits to a massage therapist can help ease body tension and help relax before the problem gets to be too large. Massage directly on injuries is not recommended. Biofeedback helps develop control of low body temperature problems and can help lower blood pressure. Warm dry blankets and heating pads can help, too. Stay warm and dry.
Shock reduction is important. Treat for shock.

My problem is kidney damage and the will not let me pee enough. So they have me on real high dose furosemide 240 ml. So the control that I have is extremely poor. But I have no complaint at 78 I consider my self lucky. I am still able to do what ever I want.