incontinence and constipation (male)

Archives1

Staff member
Last May I spent ten days in the hospital intestinal bleeding.
I was taking Xeralto.

I dropped my dosage to 10 mg. My stools were still very black and soft. Clean up was a mess.

I stopped taking Xeralto.

Then I noticed I was very constipated. It was like I had a 'plug' in me. It was very hard to pass, but when I did, the 'back up' just poured out of me.

I have noticed that when I am constipated, my urine flow is very reduced, no force and just dribbles out.

I know I have chronic BPH and take medicine for it.

I take an 10 mg iron twice a day, along with the other 11 pills I take daily.

I will feel the urge to urinate, rush to the bathroom and nothing, then, after I feel, for lack of a better word, spasms and the urine startes out,

The stream is so weak, it just sprays all over the place. In our RV, my wife suggested I get a long neck funnel.. it works in there, at home, I just stand over the toilet bowl.

I'm not complaining, and when I have my wellness visit in June, I will share this with my GP.

I take a diuretic in the am with my blood pressure pill.

I have had lifelong constipation. I manage it with stool softeners and fiber. When I took an iron supplement it badly constipated me. My urologist says my constipation is connected to my urinary incontinence, however I doubt that since I've been constipated all my life but urinary incontinent for a few years.

The same muscles control both functions though.

I have also suffered with constipation since I was born. I currently take a powder you mix with water called movicol. This keeps things soft. I then use a suppository every other day as I rarely get the urge to go. Unlike my bladder, which gets the urge lots of times in a day. My records show that I have irritable bowel and over active bladder. The OAB only came on after prostate and bladder surgery a couple of years ago. Cheers Phil

I shall have to look at the ingredients on the packet. I have been using the stuff for years without looking at what is in it, Phil

The main ingredient on the packet is macrogol 3350. There are some salts and some propylene glycol. Cheers Phil

@physlink if you look up Macrogol it is another name for polyethylene glycol, distasteful I know. I have taken MiraLax a few times which also contains polyethylene glycol, it works well, but not quickly.

Polyethylene glycol is many ethylene glycol molecules linked together (hence poly), making a large molecule that is not absorbed through the intestinal wall, but attracts many water molecules, keeping the stool soft. It can be made as long/heavy as desired (within reason), but the type used as a laxative has a molecular weight about 3350. A longer type is waxy and used to seal green wood for woodworking.

Polyethylene glycol is many ethylene glycol molecules linked together (hence poly), making a large molecule that is not absorbed through the intestinal wall, but attracts many water molecules, keeping the stool soft. It can be made as long/heavy as desired (within reason), but the type used as a laxative has a molecular weight about 3350. A longer type is waxy and used to seal green wood for woodworking.

@chicspandex yes that sounds like the stuff I take. It is called movicol here, I think it is miralax in the US. It has just started being sold over the counter here without a prescription, Phil

Yes my hand goes up, I have both, history says, bladder incontinence, chronic constipation, fecal incontinence, soo I never what happens next, but I have a cupboard full of laxatives, and a PCP that told me you email me after 3 days of no results, and come in for sure at 5.
Here is my list, Magnesium, Cascara Sagrada, glycerin suppositories, saline enemas, oral lactulose, lactulose enemas( given in hospital)