In a pinch

Archives1

Staff member
So a while back I was away from home and needed to buy diapers and boosters without knowing what’s in the area for medical supply stores so I went to the local drug store and bought depends and some cheap booster pads. It’s really amazing how bad those depends are not to mention the pads were equally as horrible!! Just wondering if anyone has come across any store brands that one can get by with in a pinch.

Good nites Trufit inserts weee amazing. Unfortunately, thy are no longer being produced. You could use them in a diaper like depends and have decent absorbency. The only problem with the inserts is that they swelled up a lot.

I can't add much about the US, but here in the UK I have tried some own brand products from Boots and found them to be poor quality. Fortunately, tena pads and pants are widely available. Tena slips don't seem to be stocked in stores very often. Some depends products can be found in pharmacies.

Tena brand for women are at Walmart CVS and Walgreens in Florida but in North Carolina that section of each store is small and limited

@physlink I've seen the term "slips" before applied to tabbed diapers, I always thought "slip" was short for slip on, like a pull up. Is slip a Britishism a Yank like me is clueless on or just another obscure diaper euphemism?

I think it is just another silly name. I guess that the manufacturer doesn't want to call them nappies here or diapers for you?

When I've been in a similar situation, I used pampers size 6 as a booster, after cutting holes in the diapers to allow liquid to flow through into the generic store bought diaper. it actually worked really well until i could get a hold of proper products.

as for 'slip' i use a European made product from France called the ID Slip. its just another word for diaper that people are so afraid of...

"but there's SUCH a stigma on the word diaper" my response to this is by being worried to call them diapers you are actually perpetuating the stigma of said diapers. people need to get over it and call them what they are ffs.

a rose by any other name...

canadianbaby said:
"but there's SUCH a stigma on the word diaper" my response to this is by being worried to call them diapers you are actually perpetuating the stigma of said diapers. people need to get over it and call them what they are ffs.

a rose by any other name...

Agreed 100%!

canadianbaby said:
by being worried to call them diapers you are actually perpetuating the stigma of said diapers
Absolutely also all the euphemisms and weird terminology makes figuring out what you need immensely harder. Do I need a pad, guard, shield, or liner? Briefs, slip, underwear, or pull up? Super plus absorbancy, maximum absorbancy, or ultra absorbancy, or is it just how many raindrops.

**sigh** Maybe someday things will normalize a bit, but I doubt it just look at feminine hygiene products.

Because they are ultimately unregulated its a free for all market. This creates some concerns as to chemical make up, absorbancy ratings(they are NOT independently tested), labeling, and pricing,
There should, in my opinion, be some regulation as to absorbancy claims, pricing, chemical usage, etc.

The chemical concerns seem to be top of my thoughts recently, as I'm dealing with a rather annoying rash after switching products. I have a myriad of health issues and really don't need another one.
My sensitive skin suggests otherwise.

What will have to happen is independent testing on ALL products with a review of all results so the public is at least educated about what we're really wearing next to our naughty bits. Then the public is free to make a better informed choice.

CB

The store brand,s are not worth anything.I used depend overnight many yrs ago they were a lot better than to days.

If I absolutely have to get a store brand I looks for Depend with tabs.

cb607640ca4e7ac3682853001777dc5f.jpg

They are a traditional tab style brief.

Just so you know, Consumer Reports won't be testing them any time soon, i bet, and their reply if you querry them will be fancy language that amounts to: there isn't enough dollar sales in the entire US of A to justify it or reach our standards for something needing Product Review.
I really question the Dollar Sales concept - the OTC section of a big grocery store like Fred Mens/Kroger devotes an entire aisle to them. Some places (depending on Population?), there is another half Aisle. I suspect the absorbency ingredients are the same as the products used in Women's "Sanitary Napkins", another product that needs to standardize the wording! The one difference might be whatever it is that "they" add for odor control for the incontinence products - they have that on the product wrapping/advertising, but don't say what that is. Put those two products together and Consumer Reports should review them - the sales total dollar amount must be staggering, nationally.
The current political regime is not about to spend a single dollar on the issue.
The place that might come up with a review on
Environmental/medical-toxicity is California. They must spend tens and tens of millions to force manufactures to (for example) label the bottom of a plastic drinking glass as "This product includes a known carcinogen". I used to have to read "Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), but now the California "ratings" seem to be expanding until they are approaching universal. Maybe the Feds will just let California do it to save the Federal Budget Deficit.
If it turns out that there are either toxic absorbency ingredients or one that causes enough "side effects" that enough Doctors get concerned about it, then we might finally see some reviews or warning labels. Make sure you speak to your doctor - if he hears 200 such complaints, he might act.
Note Disposable Diapers are raising concerns about effects on Landfills (Garbage Dumps, prior to political correctness). Add the incontience products and the issue gets even bigger.

Kroger's "store Brand" on Men's absorbency pads are just a repacking of the original manufacture's product, near as i can see.
Kroger ate a LOT of other stores, so you will see the word "Kroger" in small print on lots of product labels on "store brands". Look on the little bag you get from their Prescription Drug counter – it lists all the store names.

Prior to getting incontinence, i had no idea of these issues!

I believe that sanitary napkins do not contain the same absorbent material as incontinence products: especially in the case of urinary incontinence, the fluids that the two products are designed to absorb are of quite different levels of viscosity.