I'm prone to rashes and need help.

Archives1

Staff member
I'm incontinent of urine 24/7 basically I don't know that I have to go until I am actually going. For this reason I wear diapers 24/7 I make sure I buy high quality ones. I know the potential for rashes, so I bathe often, try to air out, try to use various creams and yet I feel like I'm in this revolving door of getting painful or at least uncomfortable rashes. My doctor told me the alternative to diapers is catheterisng which I will NOT do! Any suggestions or similar situations. I really need some help.

Hi Ben,
You may want to try creams that not only treat the rash, but also act as a barrier to prevent the moisture from irritating your skin.

Thank you Boulder 77, what is an example of such a cream? Is there a specific one that you have tried?

I haven't tried one specifically, but here is a link to some that look like they may help:

They basically are a thicker type paste that help protect the skin from moisture.

Ben,

According to our clients they prefer: Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream, which is a generic for Lotrisone. Usually applied twice a day.
Protex Medical

Hi Ben,

If you have not seen a dermatologist, I recommend you do so. If the rash is a yeast infection, you might need other creams, such as Ketoconzole 2% and maybe a powder, like Nystatin Topical. After a prostatectomy, I had developed a very severe rash which was miserable and it turned out to be a yeast and not bacterial. He prescribed Fluconazol, 100 Mg. and the aforementioned cream and powder. I also recommend Kegel exercises, which have helped. Another medication that helped for the incontinence is Imipramine, 50 Mg. I had called 1-800-985-1353 and talked with a very caring and knowledgeable person with The CareGiver Partnership (www.caregiverpartnership.com) and they have very high quality incontinence products. They also offer samples for just a postage charge. I hope this is helpful. James

In addition to the above advice, you might consider shaving. Shaving reduces the real estate available to the critters that cause rash, and it helps cleanliness. Good luck.

I have a lot of children and now grandchildren. And I am prone to rashes and itching. I have gone to Hawaii to visit one daughter a couple of times this year. W went to the North Shore Soap Factory. I had read about Kukui Oil being a cure all. I hardly believed it. But I bought some and it really works on just about everything. You can order it online and read about it. It may not work on you....but I was pretty impressed. One bottle goes a long way. There is usually free shipping around this time too. Just a thought. I am NOT into natural remedies! I hope something works for you!

Awesome thank you! Does the normal Desitin cream work for you?? I'm trying out the maximum strength stuff!

When I can, I wash and use Desitin and cornstarch powder at every change. When I must change while I'm away from home, I wash as soon as I can when I get back. In my experience, Desitin is more preventative than curative, but it does work. Really bad cases of diaper rash can only be cured by a doctor's prescription.

Does anyone else use the A&D Ointment? I've been using it or Desitin and seems to be keeping my skin protected so far. I basically do what Patrick does using one ointment or the other. Any other advice or techniques on barrier creams (types, brands, usage, application tricks, availability, etc)?

I just remembered a product that helped me before. It is B-SURE all natural Bottom Balm. It is made by Birchwood Laboraties (USA), Inc. www.birchlabs.com or 1800-328-6165 FOR QUESTIONS. i hope it helps someone. James

My PCP nurse recommended Udder Balm, she said she used it on her children and it work very well, she like my urology nurses told me removal of pubic hair was eseential.

I also self cath and udder balm really doesn't get in the way like destin or some of the others

@ Vestalm and others

I've used A & D ointment most of the time. Desitin on occasion. With that applied after showering, I've had few skin problems, even in warm summer weather.

Zinc Oxide is the standby generic.

And good old Vaseline will work, too!

If you use disposable diapers, the ointments can render your tapes useless if it gets on the landing zone.

Many of the ointments also deteriorate plastic or rubber pants quickly. Hospital grade butyl rubber (hard to find) will resist moisture barrier products as well as the rather pricey 'Euroflex' waterproof pants & bloomers.

If you are not allergic to talcum powder, that can help if applied to your skin sparingly. It also tends to mask any odors and can be used on vinyl or rubber protective pants to keep them from sticking when not used.

I've noted that the mail order incontinence outlets often sell their own 'house brand' of moisture barrier creams / ointments.

And there are aloe wipes, too. Very skin friendly.

Trial and error will lead you to the product that works most effectively.

@ Patrick: I agree on the shaving for hygienic reasons and also your advice on moisture barrier creams as a preventitive more than a curative. I always advise medical intervention for a persistent rash condition.

Check the @PROTEX comment above, too, for their suggestions moisture barrier applications.