I may leak a little but I can still…

Archives1

Staff member
When recovering from prostate surgery, we tend to become hyper focused on what we've lost (that is complete bladder control). It might be helpful, particularly for those who have had surgery recently, for us to talk about what we can still do despite incontinence.

In my case, I wear a pad every day. On some days I'm mostly dry. On others, the pad is needed. I still enjoy my hobbies like woodworking, motorcycle riding, camping, kayaking, weight lifting and hiking. I also chase around with grandkids. I'll turn 70 in August and am thankful that I can still do those things. Anyone else care to chime in?

My only limitations are tied to some back injuries I’ve had over the years. But other than that I can still do the same things, it just takes more planning on my part.

I’m 58 will be 59 this summer. I still wear a pad at night just in case. The best thing is I do anything I want without stressing over it. I do have an occasional leak but nothing big just a little squirt if I do something really strenuous. I said I do anything I want but that isn’t true. Sex is still an issue but I am alive and active and that is more important.

Enjoy what you can do and adapt to the inconveniences.

I’m 72, it’s been one year since surgery. Thankfully I can report I’m lucky and dry. Took about 8 months before I stopped wearing pads. My urologist had advised me to start kegels before surgery and I religiously kept it up where I did 30 reps hourly; I like to think this helped tremendously.

As we age, what we considered normal can become not so normal. I try to do as much as I can. It's been 5 years since my prostatectomy, and I still need to wear diapers. I had previous control issues before my surgery. Pads are not sufficient. The biggest obstacle I have faced so far is packing when traveling; especially if a flight is involved. That is when my anxiety rises. Many of my friends and relatives know of my incontinence, but it is never a topic of conversation. I will be 75 this Friday, so many of my friends and relatives are in that same age category. Maybe, that is why it's not much of a talking point. It is what it is.

Love it! Focus on the positive.
Almost 3 weeks post op. I can do almost anything with depends on. In a great mood actually because I’ve been off work for the longest period of time in my life! This might be TMI but even though I can’t get it up I can still have powerful orgasms. And I can still have hope that things will get better.

Being new here I would just like to make an observation comment. I think it would be very helpful to some of us if posters would provide their situation like Finland2 commented. Age, time since surgery and specifics regarding when they might have experienced significant improvement. I'm about 7 weeks post op right now and those are the data points that I scan responses for. It's also helpful to hear activities that are still enjoyed by those that haven't gotten full function back, as Chuck11 did in the original post.

In an earlier post I noted that I am 58 but I neglected to say that I am 18 months post surgery. I had a radical prostatectomy on December 3, 2020. Catheter removed 11 days later. Struggled with getting dry for approximately four months before starting to see real improvement. In about April 2021 improvement actually came rapidly. By summer 2021 I was not wearing pads at night and still do. I have an occasional accident at night due to not waking in time to go (maybe once in ten night).

As far as activities go, I work a desk job for the most part but mange to get in 3 - 6000 steps a day depending on the day and my location. Other activities include farm work, yard work, a vegetable garden, and I go out to eat when I want. I am planning a beach trip later in the summer and a baseball game in about three weeks. I live three hours from the ball park and about 10 hours from the beach. I am not concerned as I can generally go three hours or more without needing a restroom very bad.

I consider myself fortunate that my major leaks are at night. As stated in another post when I engage in strenuous activity I may leak a tiny bit but my underwear catches it. Usually when that happens I am stinky from sweat anyway so no worries. It’s not like anyone is going to notice. If they do, I’m sorry. Haha

That is interesting. I'm 63 and only 7 weeks post op but I have serious problems with strenuous activities (working in the yard for an hour or 2 can soak a thick pad), slight problems with changing body position (sitting to standing or big step over the dog will generate a squirt)and no issues at night. I assume this might have to do with the specific nerves that may have been disturbed or severed during the procedure but maybe somebody here knows for sure.

adphotoman,
The first few months after surgery I would leak trying to get out of the car, lifting anything that had weight to it, looking cross eyed at something. The bottom line is it happens and you can’t control it initially, however, it surely will get better. Do your kegels and don’t give up.

I can still go out for walks and enjoy the day rain or shine. I suffer from PTSD or possibly CPTSD - and over the past couple of years - I've let mainly three people torment my brain. But I can still prevail. Last year I had a PTSD episode where I thought I saw the woman from my childhood who also humiliated myself for my childhood enuresis episodes at my local laundroma - and the reason why I am typing this today is because I could have sworn on my walk I had saw her again.

But abusers be damned; I recognize what my memories and feelings that filled up my headspace in that short moment and what turned out to be an elderly doppelganger who was using a stroller as a walker.

I may leak a little; i may be scarred from these people - but I can still live my life.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs