I DID IT!!!

Archives1

Staff member
Hi all!

I had the phone-doctor visit with my doctor and it went surprisingly well. I only had to take a deep breath like 2X as I read my lil script:D Like you all said, she was understanding and kind. I don't know if I mentioned before but I have also been abused as a child so I talked to her about that as well and she said it may correlate with my problem. She gave me some references to a good therapist in her practice. She also recommended three treatments for the incontinence:

-take desmopressin in low doses
-referral to a urologist
-referral to a sleep doctor

Personally, I think I want to take the medicine but I wanted to ask what you all think? Is it worth it even in a low dose? She wants me to take it then check up with me three weeks from now. I know I saw a post before about it before but I'm not sure.

I also wanted to let you all know that I ordered NorthShore tab-style briefs and they're are so so much better at anti-leakage. The only thing that I don't like is how bugle-y they are. It's kind of funny :D

Congrats on all fronts. I don’t know anything about that med but if your doc said you should take it in a low dose you should try and see if you can tolerate the side effects and if it helps you out.

Also go to counselling as it will benefit you greatly just my own personal opinion as I have done tons of counselling and it has helped me immensely.

And congrats on ordering yourself better protection as that will make many things easier for yourself. And yes it may seem bulky but honestly no one will really notice it. Just be confident and accept it’s what you need at this moment. People are so self absorbed they don’t notice much if anything. I switched recently to wearing abriform m4 briefs recently and it is so relieving to my psychy that I don’t need to worry about where the nearest bathroom is. And especially now with all the covid restrictions there are very few washrooms open to the public. ;(. Oh well I have solved that problem for myself lol 😂

Hi 23, glad you had that first contact with the doctor and that you found her to be kind and understanding.:) Seems like you created an instant rapport and trust. I don't know what desmopressin is or what it does but on your follow up maybe you can ask what it does and if there is a generic which may be cheaper. Definitely find out about potential side effects. I think the doctor should make it clear what those can be. Not knowing what it is I would go with the low dose and see how it does and how it reacts. Do let the doctor monitor the medicine since you are unfamiliar with it and just tell her you're concerned about side effects. In your discussion about referral to a urologist and sleep doctor just ask, "if it were you (or your child) who would you (send your child) go to?"
Sounds like the North Shore briefs are doing their job. After all you do want something that won't just fall apart after a half hour of wear:O To help hide the bulgy part maybe wear a loose skirt or relaxed fit jeans. Some people say they wear jeans that are one size larger and it works for them. Of course you wear the briefs at night, who's going to see it?:oops:
Good to hear you took that first step. I think usually the first step is the biggest and now that feeling of uncertainty is behind you! Please keep us posted!

And I forgot to say you did the hardest part. Just start talking too a doctor about your concerns that’s the first step but for everyone it’s the hardest one. Honestly it gets easier and easier afterwards. Docs are here to help you. However it’s very hard for them if you don’t tell them everything. So good for you being brave enough to start the conversations.

Now you will have to remember at the back of your mind though doctors are not always correct however The majority of the time they are. 😀

This is all good news; congratulations!

For those of you who don’t know how Desmopressin (a.k.a. Vasopressin) works, it’s a hormone sometimes used to treat diabetes, that alters kidney function for 8-12 hours so you’re less likely to pee at night if you take it at night (or whenever you take it; could be useful on a flight!). It actually recirculates water from the kidneys back into your body, not to your bladder. If you have edema (swelling/water retention) or high blood pressure, you wouldn’t want to take it. In other animals, it alters choice of partners; not sure how.

Everyone should learn about RAINN. Rape Abuse Incest National Network. Their hotline number is 800-656-HOPE. Their web address is www.rainn.org. They have a chat line on the website. They are really good people.
I've supported them for years.
Note the two "N"s in the name and address.

SNOW: Thanks for the warning. My doc hasn't suggest that one - maybe because I'm in the "don't take it" class.

Read up on any and all side affects with all medications you are considering taking. Not all are listed, but just the most reported ones. Write down any concerns you have with the meds and discuss with your doctor or pharmacist. I personally won't take decompression. It gives you a dry mouth etc., which can lead to tooth decay, and a host of other things

@AlasSouth,
Very good website and helps allot of people.
There are other good books to help if anyone has been victim. Guys,There are also some good books for us too.

@Jwh51 @billliveshere @Maymay941 @snow @AlasSouth @artiejr @jrpoorman Thank you all for your help and encourage. I can't wait for the next stage in this journey hopefully to the end of it or better management. I'm going to do some more research tonight. Thanks for the website, I've been a frequent visitor but hope to get the courage to be more active!

I see no problem in you becoming more active with that website (and with anything else). You've really shown a lot of chutzpah with us so I know it's in you! It just takes that first step which you have taken. You've heard that old Chinese saying (maybe it was Confucius!) that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. You've taken that first step off so don't forget to send us a postcard on the way! :D

Honestly you have nothing to lose. This site is full of great and very tolerant and knowledgeable people. On this site everyone faces complications of something most of the population don’t know about and would be paralyzed to deal with it. The joy here is it is made up of people who are here to help others through the magical maze of incontinence. 23andpee you have taken already one of the hardest steps - reaching out to a doctor.

So congrats on that. And I hope you can grow from here and provide advice to people in the future. Good luck and stay the course. It does get easier and easier.

We're all here to help anyone who asks. You'll get multiple options. Follow the ones you think make the most sense, and will help you with your particular issue