I am young. Why have I started having nighttime incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
It all started a few months ago. I occasionally have night time urinary incontinence. I wake up while it is happening but I cannot stop the flow. It’s like I have no control over my muscles. I wake up and jump out of the bed and leave a wet stream all the way to the bathroom. It’s so embarrassing. So far my husband has not noticed and I want to keep it that way. Will hormone replacement therapy affect me in this way? I did notice the first time this ever happened was the day I started on estrogen therapy. I’m at a loss. Someone please give me some advice. I am 42 and female. Total hysterectomy at age 23. Thanks in advance

It is smart to look what has recently changed in your life. Certainly speaking with the doctor who prescribed estrogen and or the gynocologist. Possibly physical therapy can tell you how to do kegel or excecises that will build muscle tone.

In the meantime, you are going to want to do something with the streaming urine if you aren't talking to your husband. How about a small stack of hand towels to press between your legs as you run to the toilet just to catch the flow? Very not ideal but it took me a whole lot of denial years of doing that before getting pull-up disposables and and a washable bed pad.
I was very stubborn and ruined a few mattresses.

First step is speaking with the doctor though.

Yes, see your doctor. It must be a challenge to keep this hidden from your husband. Maybe you could think some more about that, or let us help you decide if that's the best course of action.

Hey Fieldsfam;

I'm sorry you're going through all of that. I don't really know much about hormone therapy or anything in regards to transitioning - it's just not something I know much about unfortunately.

But you deserve the right doctor/urologist who are going to listen to you and your concerns. Are you experiencing daytime Overactive bladder? Have you noticed yourself going to the bathroom more than usual? These are the types of questions your going to want to self inventory prior to talking to your doctor.

Don't be afraid of judgement. I can attest to Maymays statement about thinking of off the box things to give yourself dignity But before you go down that road; always consult a doctor - there may be medicine or an underlying medical condition that can explain this.

You're husband should be more than supportive. I don't know your personal situation; but regardless of any outcome, don't let them make fun of you, critique you or make you feel any less than who you are as a human being.

When you own it, they can't.

Sincerely,
HC

I’ve been ready through some other posts. I seem to have some symptoms similar to what others are describing with a tight pelvic floor. A urologist has told me I have some prolapse of my bladder and that has caused some day time leakage for a few years. I have also been to a chiropractor recently and he tells me my hamstring and hip muscles on my left side are very tight because my left hip is over an inch higher than my right so essentially keeping everything very pulled tight in that side. Would this also effect my pelvic floor? Sorry I am not very knowledgeable about this at all. In the meantime I am going to start some stretching for my pelvic floor and see if I can get in with my gynecologist. I do have sleep apnea as well but c pap machines were recalled in the spring and I have not been using one for almost a year. I am also diabetic but have been for over 20 years.

there are many issues that can allow for incontinence and each individual person is subject to a unique set of issue that can contribute.
You've just listed a few things that in and of themselves are known contributors to inadvertent loss of bladder control.
Why not speak with each professional that are taking care of you and get advice from each one. YOU must keep medical log to inform each doctor what the other one has advised or prescribed. They will not coordinate with one another that'is is your responsibility to track communicate and organize what you are doing for your overall health and level of continence. You might need to cobble together a multi piece approach.
Just know gaining better control doesn't happen in an instant like turning on a switch. It will take time and patience with yourself

You certianly not alone. And there are lots younger on here. Maybe search old threads. MayMay has the idea, too. Honeeycombs. This site has some teaching and information material, some with the newest information. Check them out.
Good luck.

@fieldsfam I only have nighttime problems. My stem from ptsd and a tight pelvic floor. I attempted physical therapy but it was too much for me to handle as it brought back bad memories.

I did however get trigger point injections to my pelvic floor and it seemed to help some. Went through a urogynocologist(sp)

@fieldsfam I can totally relate! I am only 26, also female, and have the same night time problems as you but it happens almost every night. I have no control. Sometimes I don't even wake up. Mine also started out of the blue, about 6 months ago. I am seeing a urologist but no cause identified yet. I haven't had any hormone therapy like you have.
I am seeing a physiotherapist due to a tight pelvic floor but it hasn't helped with the incontinence as yet.
Feel free to message me if you want to connect.

Good for you being proactive!
Remember having a few conditions they can cause or contribute to in continence.
Also seems l your husband has weathered these conditions with you so saying in a matter of fact say,I'm going to be wearing Depends at night while I straighten out the issue of running to the toilet at night is not too difficult as you've been handling medical equipment and doctors visit as it is.

@fieldsfam I’m 45, post-hysterectomy due to cancer, three years ago, which led to immediate post menopausal syndrome. I’m on Estradiol transdermal patches and Estrace (estrogen cream). They reduced my unbearable hot flashes by 85-90%, so for that, I love the hormone replacement therapy. But it hasn’t helped in any other way.

Yes, estrogen replacement can definitely affect your urinary habits, so if I were you, I’d see a urogynecologist - if you can find one - I can’t!