Hospitals

Archives1

Staff member
I am facing a possible hospitalization for my COPD and was wondering how most of you dealt with incontinence while in the hospital. I have a wide array of medical conditions including asthma, COPD, muscle spasms, nueropathic pain, bulging discs, urinary incontinance.

The medications they may have me on are known for causing additional pain.

I have had two past hospitalizations and it is documented in my chart that I have incontinence however not all staff members understand. The previous visits I had to be on oxygen, hooked up to two IV's, and was in alot of pain which I tried to use hot and cold packs, plus some pain medication.

The challenges I face especially with staff are for one I am young (34, male) which some do not understand why some younger people have incontinence. It's hard enough for someone at my age to be facing these issues and actually need help. Second, I use regular briefs while in the hospital because I cannot really move around due to shortness of breath and it makes trying to put pullup style on with IV's and oxygen cords attached. It is sometimes hard explaining to them I need some assistance. The last hospital I went to they would never check or actually help me clean the area as well. I have decided to change the hospital I goto from Banner Hospitals to Dignity Health Hospitals.

I wish I could use something else such as condom caths but I have a sensitivity to adhesives (like where they put Iv's and condom caths). I get really bad UTI's from foley's which I just plain refuse due to the pain.

Is there anything else I can do to explain to these people what type of assistance I need or any other experiences you would like to share about your hospitalizations?

Azincon-have your MD write orders for what you need. For example:
1. Pt is incontinent and needs assistance with diaper changing. NO FOLEYS. NO EXTERNAL catheters. Pt allergic to adhesive.
2. Please use patient’s own supply of diapers.
3. Pt is to have pericare q shift.

Any issues, ask for the attending MD and charge nurse to review these orders with their staff ASAP.

Any further issues, call a patient representative from admissions, the assistant director of nursing, social work services and finally the executive assistant for the Hospital Administrator.

I have been hospitalized a number of times and some had some half way decent diapers and others had junk diapers I had one place using foley catheters that was not a good experience

I was hospitalized twice, and this is what I would add to CPFuller's excellent suggestions:

Have your MD write the order before your hospitalization. When you are admitted, make sure the order is there. Bring your own supplies; the hospital may not have any, or they may be of poor quality. When the first and subsequent nurses come by, tell them you are incontinent and need assistance from them to take care of yourself.

While you are in the hospital, your medical needs should be taken care of. This is what you deserve. Wishing you well.

If you do not ask or have doctors orders, they will catheterize you. Typically the diapers are use the hospital are very poor quality. I usually just bring my own diapers.

If you are comfortable with it having a close friend or family member or two to go with you could be helpful to help you get the care you deserve.

Maybe order a bulk set of your standard supplies in advance if you can.

Hope this helps.

Well wishes.

I don’t know why I didn’t think of this too. Never stay in hospital alone. Always have someone with you! Duh. My Dad taught me this when my mom was ill. He hired a private duty CNA to be with mom 24/7. Her name was Olga. I’ll never forget her. She was Swedish.

We’ll do the same if needed for my family. Heaven forbid!

I'm sure they will put a catheter in you and will only be provided a diaper for bowel issues.

Those catheters are miserable. I don't have urinary problems but I would rather wet a brief than have that thing stuck in me again....... I was out when they put it in.... but wide it awake when it came out, and it hurt worse than my broken ribs.

I went in after a motorcycle accident and was unconscious so I had no choice. The question is if your awake and know what's going on, can you tell them to keep that god forsaken thing away from you and just use a diaper or even a coffee cup (just kidding) or do they have to put it in you?

Everyone knows Foley catheters suck and can cause UTI's. Clinically though, if you need it, do it." If you have a choice or it is a convenience issue don't. Just that simple

If you are concerned about a Foley,tell intake that you are prone to UTIs. Bring your own protection, and make sure you let them know you can change yourself( if you can). I've been incontinent for a long time now and am well pass the point of embarrassment, but I still don't like the thought of making someone else change me.