Hoppy

Archives1

Staff member
Hi All
I'm a new user on the Chat site. I had a robotic prostatectomy in 2017.
All good so far except for leakage issues. I generally don't use pads except I have a major issue when I exercise walk 5Km which I do most days. All ok for first 1 Km then I leak around 80ml in a one hour walk.
I used to leak half this but 18 months ago I had a penile implant surgery and my leakage became worse. I do the standard Kegel exercises regularly for no real benefit. Except for my walking issue I can live with my other minor leakage. Does anyone have similar issues and advice on remedies?

I’m in the same boat. My RP was in 2020. I'm pretty much dry throughout the day, but long walks really do me in. Around the one mile mark the leaking begins, and there seems to be a barely perceptible, continuous drip from then on. After my walk is done, it seems like the leaking continues until I'm able to sit for a bit. I assume I need a chance for my pelvic floor muscles to rest and “reset”. That’s the way it seems anyway. I haven’t found a solution to this, so will be following this thread with interest. Take care.

Hi- I had my RP in August 2022 so I am about 15 months since. I m dry at night and one or two light pads per day, depending on activity. I weight train, bike, and take long athletic walks (2-3 miles) regularly. All generate some increase of leakage but the longer walks generate the most. Like others, I can go .5 or 1 mile and things feel under control. I dont feel big leaks during the walk but my light pad is pretty wet at the end so I assume its more constant drip-drip. My take is the increased activity of a longer, faster paced walk overwhelms the sphincter/pelvic muscle performance. This returns to normal after I return and am more sedentary. I dont have any solutions for this besides continuing kegels and other PT exercises, continuing walks, biking and weights and hope that with time, things improve. Maybe someone else can indicate if this happened for them and how long it took.

I am in a very similar position. Dry at night and a little leakage in the early part of the day if sedantory. As the day progresses or with more walking or physical work then the leakage increases a lot. I am 19 months post RP and if there is no more improvement up to the two year mark then I think the only other option is surgery like a sling or an artificial sphincter. At the moment I manage with pads, although I hate them. I have tried Pacey Cuff when I am doing physical work like yesterday when I was using a leaf blower. Sometimes it can be irritating and pinch my skin. Other times if I'm away for home for a long time I use an external catheter for comfort and security.

O

Hbrownlow said:
I am in a very similar position. Dry at night and a little leakage in the early part of the day if sedantory. As the day progresses or with more walking or physical work then the leakage increases a lot. I am 19 months post RP and if there is no more improvement up to the two year mark then I think the only other option is surgery like a sling or an artificial sphincter. At the moment I manage with pads, although I hate them. I have tried Pacey Cuff when I am doing physical work like yesterday when I was using a leaf blower. Sometimes it can be irritating and pinch my skin. Other times if I'm away for home for a long time I use an external catheter for comfort and security.

O
Hbrownlow said:

O

Thanks for your feedback. I’m a lot further post surgery (2017/08). However, my penile implant put me back to the start as far as urinary control went . Yes exercises definitely helps . A simple surgery option would be great but I’m always worried it might be a failure and end up worse

bcarr said:
Hi- I had my RP in August 2022 so I am about 15 months since. I m dry at night and one or two light pads per day, depending on activity. I weight train, bike, and take long athletic walks (2-3 miles) regularly. All generate some increase of leakage but the longer walks generate the most. Like others, I can go .5 or 1 mile and things feel under control. I dont feel big leaks during the walk but my light pad is pretty wet at the end so I assume its more constant drip-drip. My take is the increased activity of a longer, faster paced walk overwhelms the sphincter/pelvic muscle performance. This returns to normal after I return and am more sedentary. I dont have any solutions for this besides continuing kegels and other PT exercises, continuing walks, biking and weights and hope that with time, things improve. Maybe someone else can indicate if this happened for them and how long it took.

Yes bcarr , maybe someone with similar issues can gives us better options than just kegels. I’m against surgery but I don’t know enough . I’m 72 and worried the issue will deteriorate as I age . Anyway, I won’t stop my walking for this relatively minor discomfort

hoppy said:
Yes bcarr , maybe someone with similar issues can gives us better options than just kegels. I’m against surgery but I don’t know enough . I’m 72 and worried the issue will deteriorate as I age . Anyway, I won’t stop my walking for this relatively minor discomfort

At 24 months in if I am still where I am at today, I will consider the sling option. However, I will do plenty of research to make sure I am comfortable with the procedure and all possible outcomes. Enough men on this forum have had positive experiences that it is certainly worth considering. In your case, I would look into sling surgery. I think as an active 72 year old it is certainly worth investigating. I don’t think it is considered major surgery, it is performed outpatient, and sufficient numbers of men have had it done so the outcomes are pretty evident.

Thanks bcarr . I’ll certainly look into the sling option & evaluate . Maybe that’s a good possibility