Hip surgery - who's had it, and any advice?

Archives1

Staff member
Hi all,
I'm having hip surgery in a few weeks, and I'm hoping some other folks here have had it too.

I'm not a replacement, "just" some repair of an injury that's responsible for the pelvic floor issues that cause my overactive bladder, urgency, retention, and light incontinence. The operation should make all those better, eventually. I currently manage those issues with diapers.

I'm wondering, if you've had hip surgery:
1) Did the post-operative inflammation make your urinary symptoms worse?
2) Were you able to wear a diaper following surgery, or did that raise the risk of infection too much?
3) How did you change your diaper while recovering?

I'm concerned the inflammation will make my symptoms much worse for a few days, and I know getting to the bathroom is going to be very difficult. I.e., I'm worried my diapers are going to be working overtime for that first week.

I'll have a caregiver for that week. I'm worried about my ability to change myself, but also their ability to do so. This surgery makes sitting on the toilet quite painful at first, so I can only imagine someone trying to roll me to my side. And I'm equally unsure whether I'll be able to manage changing myself standing or laying down.

I don't know not having had hip surgery but will follow your situation as I had a BAD fall that injured connective cartilage in the hip and nocturnal incontinence was not far behind. I still think I was drinking excessive citric lemonade which irritates the bladder but being unable to walk a lot with hip injury added insult to injury.
You might want to get a rollator Walker to give a steady balance device when able to walk after surgery.
There are also plastic raised toilet seat inserts that you may find useful for sitting on a toilet but a pair of side bars that one can lower oneself using upper body strength is my preference.

Hi Alex,

I needed to use an elevated toilet seat - not for hip surgery. The one I liked best was the elevated toilet seat with frame.

I also liked the elevated toilet seat with arms. That one just sits on the toilet.

I hope the surgery is helpful, and I'm really glad that you will have a caregiver.

All the best.

Had hip replacement in Jan. Yes it did make my overactive bladder worse for a time. Depending on where and how big the incision is, it may make wearing a diaper undesirable, as it was in my case. I had an anterior replacement. That means they went through the front, side really. I did not want to expose the 3.5: cut to a urine soaked diaper, even though it had a water proof bandage over it. So I kept my urinal close by all the time. A catheter is an alternative? Good luck, you will most likely be happy you had it done. For me, no more pain.