Hip operation/bedwetting

Archives1

Staff member
I have issues with adult bedwetting and i got a hip thats getting extreme debilitation. I used to use pull ups to manage my bedwetting but have since started using diapers mostly for ease of change. Being only 33 years old and still wetting the bed while staring down a likely hip replacement is a little embarrasing. Thankfully with the use of Depends its somewhat manageble. My question is has anyone on here gone through a major hip operation while managing incontinence? Will I be able to keep using diapers immediately after or does it get in the way? Im worried what the nurses will think? if anybody has insight i would love to know.

I'm surprised that depends work for you they are the bottom of the barrel diaper. The nurses have seen it all. Don't worry about it.

I was surprised to Spaz. I've just adapted to the fit so well. Only the plastic ones though the cloth ones are useless. For someone who is completely embarrassed everyday about needing diapers these give me the unnoticeable feeling.

Thanks. Ive never been to the hospital for anything major so I'm just unsure. Being hip surgery I also am not sure if diapers get in the way?

I seriously doubt that you will be able to use diapers immediately after hip surgery. There will be a significant wound in the buttock area that would be irritated if in contact with a wet diaper. A catheter would be the best alternative. Best of luck, these surgery's are very positive.

As an ex nurse, I wouldn't worry about talking to them. If they are real nurses they'll treat you with the dignity you deserve!

Most of them and Dr's have seen and heard just about everything so not much surprises them at all! So you should be fine in that area. Good luck, Susan

I had a hip replacement 4 years ago. I wear 2 to 3 pads a day. Susiecue is right there should be no problems with the medical team and I was able to wear my pads right after my surgery with no problems.

Susiecue said:
As an ex nurse, I wouldn't worry about talking to them. If they are real nurses they'll treat you with the dignity you deserve!

Most of them and Dr's have seen and heard just about everything so not much surprises them at all! So you should be fine in that area. Good luck, Susan

Thanks Susan.. That totally makes sense, I guess it's just hard for me as I have no experience with this. I consider myself to be in pretty phenomenal shape and I try to do everything right so when your telling people you need hip replacement or you still wet the bed people act surprised and it makes me feel strange.

bpanta said:
I had a hip replacement 4 years ago. I wear 2 to 3 pads a day. Susiecue is right there should be no problems with the medical team and I was able to wear my pads right after my surgery with no problems.

Thanks bpanta. That's great that you were able to wear your pads. It sounds like you went through exactly what I'm about to go through. Mind if I PM you every once in a while?