Help - what to use?

Archives1

Staff member
One week from catheter removal and dealing with zero bladder control- constant drip. My surgeon does not approve of condom catheters or clamps - discourages recovery. However I am miserable without some aids. Need some specific advice on what to use and general coping. Live in small town with minimal support or resources so difficult to get help. Am doing my kegels religiously. Would appreciate any input.

This will get better it just takes time. Until then you need to accept the fact that you will need adult diapers. I use Depends. I was amazed at first at how much they can hold. You can order them directly from Amazon. They come in discreet packaging. 90 of them will cost roughly 55.00. I would wish you luck but you don’t need luck. You just need patience

The road ahead can be short, long, or never-ending. You won't know for a while.

I found Costco best for Depends and Rite-Aid for mens pads. Both on line.
My experience with condoms was miserable as was for others here.Dont stay on !
My urologist from Sloane Kettering in NYC thought that clamps were ok and helped keep the bladder
from shrinking.They work especially when you definitely dont want to leak.
I was on the long road and opted for an AUS. Your a long way from that decision

Question: So, at night,you/we have a mattress protector - how long can I depend on a mattress protector working before I should replace it??

@GeorgeF It depends if it’s disposable or not. If it’s reusable, we’ll, I've had mine for almost six years, and they’re like new. As for disposable, I usually wet them before they need to be thrown away, but if I don’t, it’s very obvious by looking at them, if the padding inside has scrunched together. If it has, I throw it away. That probably takes 3-4 weeks. I suppose it depends on how often you move in bed and how much you weigh.

@CES97 No doctor has ever given me incontinence supplies. Fortunately in the lobby there was a brochure/ad for NAFC!