Help please!! Two questions...

Archives1

Staff member
Hello friends
I have two questions
Although I have already tried several types of pull ups. Depend, North Shore, Cardinal I still have the same problem that after a while the urine leaks through the groin area. The lickeo is continued 24 hours a day because my bladder was very small and she cannot store much urine. They recommended a site to use other different products to use on the pull ups but the variety is so great that I don't know how to start, do any of you know these products? I am attaching the website. Babykins.com
And the other question is if there is some type of aerosol or perfumed spray to spread on the sheets or on the clothes to cover the odors.
Well ... I appreciate the help you can give me or the suggestions to try to solve my problem.
Thanks again.

Pull ups are not good in a lot of cases. If you’re having issues like that you should consider a plastic backed fitted brief (a tape on diaper). You’ll get much better results. If you already have ordered stuff thru northshore I’d say call them and talk to one of their people. They can help you find something.

Hi Sammy, the best thing to do about urine odors on sheets and clothes is to rinse them out as soon as possible and then later wash using white vinegar in the rinse water. Adding any kind of man-made chemical fragrance just adds to the problem. Also if your blanket doesn't have pee on it it will still pick up the odor. You can air your blanket outside or if your automatic dryer has a fluff or air only button, that works. I appreciate. you sharing with us.

Hi,my wife was taking care of old and young people in a hospital and she says that the best is TENA,they are expensive but that's what they use in hospitals in Quebec.Take care

Hi Sammy. Sorry to hear of your issues. In my case, pull ups just aren’t strong enough. I would definitely recommend disposable adult diapers. I use Bambinos or Rearz, usually depending on which company is having a sale at the time. I also cover them with plastic pants
(from Kins) and that keeps everything contained fairly well. Once you have everything contained, that should stop leakage and also lessen the odors on bedding and clothes. Hope this helps. Good luck.

I second the Kins plastic pants. That's the brand I use. The elastic on the legs and waist is different from other brands, it doesn't dig into your skin and leave marks. The photos in my profile are the Kins pants. Also, I wear them over cloth AND disposable diapers, to prevent leaks.

Hi @Sammy, If your wear something and it leaks around the legs, it is probably too large for you and is not a good fit. The best thing to do is to get samples of products that may interest you but in different sizes, especially if your size falls in between, say, medium and large, or medium and small. A well-fitting pull-up which is my preferred choice at this point, will prevent leaks with normal use. Alternatively, you can get booster pads to put in the pull-ups and they will help absorb excess urine.
Here, a lot of people prefer the tape-on diaper-like garments for effective leakage protection for the groin. With the tapes you can adjust the fit just as you want, to keep it from becoming too loose and therefor easy to leak. If you go the tape-on briefs route, plastic-backed is really the best bet! Since you have used North Shore before, do call their customer service and tell them what you're looking for. They will send you samples as well as make recommendations for your particular situation.
I hope this helps and best wishes for finding something that works great for you!!

Here is one other option that I use.
I utilize a men’s Depends brand diaper but still use different thickness pads inside.
I know it sounds a little bulky but it doesn’t feel that way unless the pad gets pretty wet.
The diaper is a back up for leaks and I have several pad sizes that I use. Most days it’s one diaper in a 24 hr period and either 3or 4 pads depending on the day.
I stay relatively dry at might so I use a thin lighter pad and then a heavier one if I am being active.
Just another idea.

You may be like me, pull-ups just don’t work. They are sized wrong. Mediums leave a gap in the legs for urine to escape. Large are so big they don’t fit snugly and leaks. I tried numerous brands, including northcare, abena, before saying screw it and just went with diapers. I use lightweight regular size seni super during day, and heavyweight seni Quattro at night.

Pull-ups have become a problem for me as well when I don't have access to a restroom and have multiple events... I have started using tape on briefs with a booster pad if out and about for the day. Plastic backed briefs are a good option to keep the fluids from leaching thru the outer layer.

Thanks friends for the tips. I'm going to try the booster pads. I just have one from North Shore that they sent me once as a sample (small 1504) and I never used it. I'm going to do the test tonight. Anyway I wanted to know the difference between a booster pads and a guard. Is the same?
Thanks again.

Sammy:
A booster will absorb urine but it does not have a plastic backing so when soaked the wetness will wick right on thru to the pull-up or diaper. A Guard pad has a waterproof backing and it will keep the wetness from getting to the garment (usually regular underwear) you inserted it into. However you have to be a bit careful when using Guards as once completely soaked they can leak/overflow into the garment you put them in.

I admire all of you for dealing with the incontinence issues and keeping active in your daily lives. At 83 now I'm beginning to have more "accidents" in the daytime and fortunately for me my 18 year old transgender granddaughter lives with me. She works most days but arranges her work schedule so that she can take me anyplace I need to go or she goes for me. I quit driving early last year. I am unable to walk farther than 20 feet without having to sit awhile as I have a severe back osteoarthritis from an accident in my teen years. I really don't know what I would do without her.

I've also been fortunate to not ever had a bedwetting problem. My dreams always find a way to wake me when my bladder issues a command! My daytime problems are usually easily prevented or taken care of. It's aggravating though! All the women in my mother's family through three generations that I'm aware of, had incontinence.What we had in common was childbearing! When we're young we don't ever anticipate these difficulties. Sometimes just changing the bedding regularly takes two much energy as I get older. I have to do it in sections at a time. When we're young we think it won't happen to us because we are "healthy" but somewhere in this living we get slack about our health and we start losing the muscle and strong bones that we've maintained for 30 years. At 60 years we look at that chocolate cake and mocha cappuccino and say "Aw, what the heck, I don't indulge every day." And then those 20 pounds or so that we slowly put on just don't go away. then we add a couple every year without changing our habits. That's the killer.

Hi Padded53
I'm going to try the booster pads and I think that there is no problem if it overflows because as I use it above a pull up, the urine would go there and it would give me time to change the pull up before it overflows to the skin.During the day I have no problems because I could change the pull up every 3 hours and it is solved but at night when I sleep I wake up due to wetness or cold urine and then it is difficult for me to go back to sleep and that causes me to be tired during the day and sleepy. It is a difficult situation.
Thanks to you and I extend to all the blog participants who are so kind.
Sammy