Heavy leakage

Archives1

Staff member
Three months after prostrate surgery I have started physical therapy to try to strengthen the muscles but now my leakage is worse, anyone had this problem

Please don't get discouraged, keep up the kagal exercises, it takes awhile to control, I am 1 year post surgery, an im doing really good,don't give up it gets better as time goes by, hang in there

@prostategary Will you give details of your one year journey such as when you had major step downs in the number of pullups and pads, when you were dry at night, how the clamp worked or didn't work for you.

I am at week 18 using a NorthShore GoSupreme at night because the amount varies and the strength of my stream shoots out of a Depend pullup, 2 depend pullups and 2 depend pads during the day. I am wearing the Lunderg Confidence Clamp (penile clamp) during the day expect when walking or sleeping which brings me to just the GoSupreme pullup and one depend pullup.

I just finished week 3 of Pelvic Floor physical therapy - they test the strength and duration of my kegel exercises (I was doing wrong and just don't feel them beside the initial clinch). They are using an electro probe to wake up the muscles, but it seems they are working more on the bladder neck than the pelvic floor based on depth and angle.

My surgery was 7 months ago tomorrow. I’m now completely dry. I really dried up early this month but started getting real improvements at about 4 months. I stopped doing kegals a while ago as I found I leaked more on the days I did them. Everybody heals differently and it just takes time unfortunately. I didn’t think I’d ever get here so hang in there.

Thank God I haven’t had any prostate trouble, yet anyway. I do have more experience with nerve damage than I would like. I’ve had to learn how to walk again after I lost the use of my legs as I couldn’t feel them. It took almost 2years for the nerves to wake up. After my neck surgery and subsequent loss of feeling in my right after rm due to a tumor on my cervical spine. Once the tumor was removed my arm started awaking in the recovery room. It’s still not back like my legs, but I’m just trying to illustrate that everyone heals at a different rate, even age and overall health can be major factors. My advice would be to not give up on the PT, I have found it life saving! It often keeps the muscles toned even when you can’t feel them.
Wish you a great, complete recovery, this is where patience and hard work come to play.

I am approaching 3 months post surgery and will be going in for my 8th visit with the nurse for the bio feedback there. I have not improved at all with my leakage. I did find out after talking to my surgery group, that because of my Gleason 9 score, the removed the nerves bundle on the left side

Sorry for the interrupt. Well they removed the nerve bundle on the left side with the prostate. The were able to save the nerve bundle from the right side. Anyone know how long recovery is under these sercomstances?

Jrb5354, thudson1965, I should have been more specific. I am 73 years old, I had my robotic surgery on August of 2019, and its been closer to 1 and a half years since, I also started out with heavy leakage, I started wearing depends pullups with a heavy pad inside, it worked pretty good for me, I changed my pullup and pad about 3 times a day. I was blessed that I didn't seem to leak much when I sat or laid down I didn't do my Kegels like I should have, and believe me that is the key to improve your pelvic floor muscles to gain control. After 6 months in I started to see an improvement, after resuming kegels. It started to get better for me, I went from using the pads inside my pullups to no pads I could hold my urine while on my way to the bathroom, the penis clamp didn't work for me. This went on for about another 6 months continuing to get better. I went into a therapy program for 12 sessions, and that really paid off for me, I was able to get rid of the pullups, and wear underwear with a heavy pad. At the present time I'm just wearing a light shield in my underwear with very little leakage. I've had 4 PSA tests and they have all been undetectable, I am truly blessed, everyone is different, I wish you the very best on your journey. This Forum has been a big help to me,

All The Best,

Prostategary

@Jrb5354 Could you give us more details such as age, gleason score, etc? It does not seem unreasonable that you might have more leakage.

Are you measuring the leakage by weighing the pads? I weigh my pads for two days every 14 days. I just weighed in Jan 21, 2021 at week 17 - I am leaking 30 ounces which is 25% of my liquid intake.

It helps to read other guys post surgery experiences. When they told me I'd have leakage after surgery I guess I never realized how bad. I'm almost 4 weeks after surgery and have no control. I do kegels in Hope's that helps. I only hope I'm doing them right. Any suggestions on where to look up proper kegel exercises?

@donneenjim10 Welcome to the forum!

Use the magnifying glass search icon on the left toward the top of the post.

I agree that medical personnel do not tell what incontinence may mean to you - Take a look at my profile (by clicking on my name).

I am 4 months out and measure last week - my leakage is at 31 ounce out of 125 ounces of intake or 25%.

Recovery takes time. Time being a few weeks to several weeks to months. I have gleaned from others post that 12, 15, 26 to 52 weeks.

Are you dry at night? I am down to 3 to 5 ounces at night with me getting up twice.

Kegels - each is different at week 15 I started Pelvic floor (kegel) physical therapy. They reduced the number down to 3 sets of 10. Also they have a small probe to measure my pressure and duration of the kegel, then another probe for electrical stimulation to get the muscle to twitch.

I'm 11 weeks post surgery. I have been dry at night, but need to get up 4 times a night. If I'm up and around, I leak constantly. I have kept up with kegles and 9 weeks of therapy using electric stimulation and as of today, no better. I'm hoping by wee( 12 of therapy, I'll see some improvement. I can get a weak erection. But if you reed many posts, it can take a year or more to recover..
. It takes 18 months for the nerves to heal. In my case, they removed the nerve bundle from the left side of the prostate. I'm 72 and have diabetes. I have several things working against me. If I don't get better in a year, I will have the SLING put in. Good luck with your recovery
Utube you will find several therapy channels that teach the proper way to do the kegels.

I have had Heavy leakage for years 24/7 and my insurance does cover my diapers and I prefer a plastic-backed diaper for many reasons well my insurance tried me with Attends Poly Briefs and they were a fail from day one it took my doctor to write a letter of medical necessity to get Abena Abriform L4's covered and now I am going to need my doctor to write another letter as they are falling short on the number supplied I have un out 2 to 3 days before my supplies arrive for the last 3 months