Friends

Archives1

Staff member
I feel like I really need friends who also have incontinence and need diapers. I feel so alone and so weird!

Ben,

The Sunday advertising supplements in our newspaper today included no less than four ads for incontinence supplies for adults. If you feel weird because you are incontinent, know that a huge and profitable industry has decided that there are so many incontinent adults, adolescents, and older children, just in the USA, that money is to be made serving their needs. Weird? Perhaps. However, there are tens of millions of us in the same leaky boat. No stigma can win a contest with profit. For too many of us, the stigma operates internally; folks around us are more interested in themselves than in our underwear. And, when we tell them, they respond with matter-of-fact acceptance. Good luck.

Patrick,
Very well said.......so true. Diaper up and get on with life......any of my friends or family that I have told have always been "matter of fact" about it.

Benfrank said:
I feel like I really need friends who also have incontinence and need diapers. I feel so alone and so weird!
Patrick said:
Ben,

The Sunday advertising supplements in our newspaper today included no less than four ads for incontinence supplies for adults. If you feel weird because you are incontinent, know that a huge and profitable industry has decided that there are so many incontinent adults, adolescents, and older children, just in the USA, that money is to be made serving their needs. Weird? Perhaps. However, there are tens of millions of us in the same leaky boat. No stigma can win a contest with profit. For too many of us, the stigma operates internally; folks around us are more interested in themselves than in our underwear. And, when we tell them, they respond with matter-of-fact acceptance. Good luck.
James said:
Ben,
I hope you are aware of Kegel exercises and there are medications available to help.
PBJ32 said:
Patrick,
Very well said.......so true. Diaper up and get on with life......any of my friends or family that I have told have always been "matter of fact" about it.
PBJ32 said:
Depend says 1 in 3........I wonder how true that is.......but definitely seems plausible.

I understand the need to know that you aren't the only person in your circle with this problem, however the reality is that most people just aren't going to talk about it if they can keep it secret. I have come to the place that I would willingly discuss it with most people- if they approached me discretely and if it was clear they weren't doing it for some kind of thrill. I have told a couple different people at work and you'd think I had said my favorite color is blue. IOW, for a lot of people, it just doesn't matter. As for friends, a good friend I had about a decade back was helping me on moving day and asked what he could do - and I asked him to pack the drawers in my dresser. He already knew I had this problem, but we hadn't really discussed it. Now, the thing is, I'd completely forgotten that I had put some disposables in one of the drawers a few days before, when normally everything is kept separate... Anyway, he packed it all and I didn't realize it until later when I went to tape the box shut. I was horrified for a moment or two, but there was nothing I could do, so I told myself to get over it. People find out, and at times they see it for themselves. I have reached out to the abdl community but haven't really wanted to be a part of it, so I don't have any answers about how to make friends. I don't experience the stigma as much as I used to, but apart from this and another forum, I have no real support network.