Flying with Incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Hi everyone,

Just figured Id get some tips/pointers. I have a work related trip where Ill be flying. I will be with one of my coworkers, who doesnt know I have bladder problems or wear briefs/pull ups.

Any advice or sugggestions would be amazing regarding the plane, changing, discretness, etc.

Thank you for being awesome!

@BrycetheFyrefox How long is the trip door to door? If it’s 8 hours, how do you normally do for that time period? How much do you leak? One pad per hour?

Accidents usually happen when you’re out of your element and doing something out of the ordinary. I know I plan for the worst case scenario and bring the necessary supplies to deal with it. If you leak through can you change pants and underwear? Should you wear a depends and a pad? Do you bring a small plastic bag for disposal? I know it’s good to hydrate when flying, but I would not drink anything for a few hours before. You can let your guard down once you’re seated and have access to the men’s room. Good luck! Practice for it.

When I travel, I wear an external, condom catheter with a bag. TSA is familiar with them, and you can forewarn them about it. They require very little attention while you are enroute, and with practice, you can make them relatively unnoticeable to everyone around you. I got them through a prescription from my surgeon and they are covered by Medicare.

Not knowing how badly your leakage is, I can only tell you what I do. Change out your depends right before going through TSA. Tell them you have incontinence. But thats up to you of course. Keep a couple depends in your carry on for change overs.
No big deal. I think about 20% of the country has some kind of incontinence problem. And yes I could be wrong on that. But understand the TSA is well aware of incontinence. As far as your coworker, tell him to go ahead and check in, you'll be with them in a minute.

Thanks, I have urge incontinence and OAB, I usually use larger pads and go threw 3-5 a day depending on how my bladder is doing. But thats then I have easy access to a bathroom. Because of larger leaks, I stick to tape on diapers when away from home, plus there easier to change in a stall.

I've had too many accidents, and my pads werent absorbant enough to catch it all.

My flight is 2 hrs + 3.5 hr layover,+ another 2 hr flight (one way). I'll definitely have to pee at least half a dozen times and will most likely leak.

@Philo condom catheters work good, but take a lot of trial and error. I wouldn’t depend on first time use getting on a plane. At least not with a backup plan.

Another vote for condom catheter for a longer flight. Agree you should be familar with their use and make sure you have a well fitted condom component to avoid any slippage or leaks. The collection bladder is small and easily concealed in loose pants and easy to drain in aircraft lavatories.