Florida Kayakers??

Archives1

Staff member
Hi all,

I am looking at kayaking the south fork of the St. Lucie river in Florida sometime over the summer. Anyone failure with this river section? Tips, ideas? I've read it is a very scenic river section even though it is only a few miles from I-95.

Also hit me up with other suggestions for kayaking in FL and if you kayak too maybe we can do a trip together.

Later guys,

JT

Aww. I was going to mention the NOC centers scattered through North Carolina. One of the best times I have ever had. I think they are all whitewater though.

lorumipsum said:
Aww. I was going to mention the NOC centers scattered through North Carolina. One of the best times I have ever had. I think they are all whitewater though.

LOL. I know my limits and white water isn't in my skill set.

@Jaytee yeah, mostly around key largo, but both sides, and you get to see a lot of cool stuff. Up close with various sharks, dolphins, manatees, eagle rays, several species of jelly fish, sea turtles, and so on. Also got pretty personal with some of the monkeys in silver springs one day.

Jaytee said:
lorumipsum said:

LOL. I know my limits and white water isn't in my skill set.

Oh, I enjoyed it but I wasn't any good at it! The first eddy turn I ever tried flipped me. I had never practiced eskimo rolls so I bailed.. it's really hard dragging that kayak back to the river bank!

@lorumipsum i was very able to successfully execute a roll ... and i practiced. I had a friend, another guide, that was a certified instructor, and he was trying to teach me. He said that most people have a hard time keeping their head down through the entire motion, and only bring their ear out of the water as their head rolls over the back deck of the boat ... but apparently I had it down, and then I would still roll back under at the last second. We couldn't figure it out, other than that my body type is really top heavy, so I really needed to overpower the weight with a lot of momentum.

My friend killed himself recently, so that sucks.

@msuspartan

Dude, so sorrowful for this. No doubt that does suck. And feelings of sorrow and anger are strong. You said he was an instructor? ACA Instructor? I am one too, and if so he was a Brother of mine too. Even if not an ACA instructor, a teacher of the craft is a brother or mine. Your loss is felt by many and all that knew your friend. Your burden is shared and we all can lift this burden to Glory.

The fact that he was an instructor should show to all that he cared for the wellbeing of his fellow kayakers. The unknown internal struggle that he faced cannot diminish this love he had for his fellow paddler.

I do not know this man, but feel proud to know you through him as a fellow instructor. Fair winds and a following sea to your friend. May the memory of those he touched be a tribute to his memory.

@Jaytee yeah, we was an ACA instructor. I never got any ACA certifications. Just the CPR and red cross certifications i needed to work with kids on trips. If I'd started there longer, I would have pursued ACA cert. as well.

He was a really good guy. It's a real shame.