First Post, longtime member - diabetic bladder disfunction

Archives1

Staff member
Hello NAFC,
Hope all are doing well on a Friday. A little about my history: I’ve always had OAB and PNE but only in the last few years have I had the urge incontinence (UUI). I’ve always checked out fine during physicals and routine checkups so the UUI was a bit of a mystery. Initially thought the UUI was related to a nasty bout with Covid, but after a close relative had an amputation resulting from uncontrolled diabetes, it got me rethinking my urinary symptoms. Sure enough, I tested diabetic. As a result, I’ve made lifestyle changes to combat the disease; have lost weight, adopted an active lifestyle and am eating healthier. I still have pins and needles in my feet and the UUI, but otherwise, glucose levels are prediabetic, blood pressure is perfect, and I’m keeping on top of this disease to prevent any further progression of the symptoms. I’m in my early/mid 40’s, so not that old.

Question I’ve got is will the UUI always be a condition I have to live with resulting from diabetes or will it get better with properly controlled glucose levels. Curious to hear from others who have this disease and if there has been any remission from the urinary symptoms. In the grand scheme of things, the UUI isn’t the biggest worry with diabetes and it doesn’t bother me that much given I’ve always had to live with OAB and PNE. I was just wondering if I can expect improvement over time or if it’s here to stay.

I welcome thoughts and feedback and wish everyone a great weekend.

I am diabetic and urinary incontinent in fact it was the onset of incontinence and bedwetting as I reached my late 40s that made me see the doctor. I was diagnosed diabetic and refered to the urologist to see what could be done about by incontinence and enuresis.
After variuos testa it was decided that I had nerve damage caused by my diabetes that was behind my incontinence problems and there was little to be done. So I was refered to the continence nurse to be advised on managing my problem. This was 10 years ago. I have worn slips or pads ever since. The medical name for adult nappies. My bladder problems have never improoved but got steadily worse. I have very little feeling in that region and for the most part little or no bladder control and am relient on nappies 24/7. I wet heavily at night and drip and dribble and sometimes a fine uncontrollable stream all day long. Sometime I flood my nappy without warning. I have learned to live with this and being in nappies all the time.

Thanks for sharing how it all started Steve. Mine has been similar but without the dribbles. I also wet heavily at night and don’t have much feeling in my saddle area. I still have good function of my internal sphincter but lousy function of the external…probably why I’ve got urge that can’t be stopped.

Having the diabetic diagnosis was in ways a relief. Gave me answers and at least I can do my best to prevent progression as best I can. I guess I should get used to wearing protection.

Again, thanks for your insight and hopefully a few others who have this chime in on expectations regarding progression of the disease and what to expect.