First Lupron shot

Hi @LarryM;

I don't believe we've met; but welcome! I'm not entirely sure what a lupron injection is - can you explain it? Does it help with bladder spasms or urinary incontinence? Just curious -

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

LarryM

The intent of the Lupron shot is to reduce your testosterone level. So I ended up with a series of annoying hot flashes, mostly in the middle of the night. It took a few weeks after my first shot before the hot flashes started. Not sure if everyone gets these or just certain people. I believe the Lupron shot also impacts sex drive and the like but things were so screwed up from the prostate removal (ED and incontinenence stuff) that I did not really pay too much attention to that at the time. I had a series of these shots, 1 every 6 months for a year or two. I guess testosterone tends to feed the cancer cells so reduction in this supports a less likelihood of return of cancer and elevated PSA levels. It took a few months after the last shot before the hot flashes went away.

I did not know this at the time but I have heard the term chemical castration used for Lupron shots. Not very encouraging but I guess better than the cancer alternative. My prostate removal was in 2018 and PSA is still non-detectable but I did require radiation and the series of Lupron shots.

I suggest creating a login with Health Unlocked and searching for Prostate Cancer Treatment forums. You sign up for the different communities to get emails about newsfeeds/communities.

Then click on Communities tab.

My Profile on Health Unlocked

Terry

I just had my 2nd shot. No side effects of any concern. But the term chemical castration applies here!