Fecal Incontinence where it is clear liquid or mucous

Archives1

Staff member
Hi! Have had this problem for 4 years. OAB for 6 years. Been under care of urogynecologist for 4 years and under care of GI dr. for years. My G.I. doctor is performing Anorectal manometry in March. I chickened out of the 1st one. For awhile, I had bits of stool in with the mucous, but that went away when I started taking 300 mg. Gabapentin twice a day. It causes constipation in me. FI is DARN ANNOYING! Pray to God I never pass stool again!! Also have, what is it called, when you have to use that cream? A tear? Well, haven't been using the cream. Supposed to use 3 tubes for 3 months to get this to go away. But what's the point of using the cream when I have to pee so often?! Won't I just wipe it away? Do you know, are there any meds you know of to inhibit FI? Anything else that inhibits FI?

I too have had fecal incontinence for years. I have done the manometry twice. It is not comfortable but will provide some information that will hopefully help determine some solutions. I wish there was some medication or over the counter product that would relieve yours and mine problem. If so I haven’t heard of it. In my case I believe some incontinence is caused by some food insensitivity. I tried increasing fiber, probiotics and anything else out there. I am avoiding foods on my “bad list” and am able to function a little better. I don’t have any good answer for you.

Coffee and certain foods are my trigger. And for some odd reason it’s drip coffee. Espresso drinks like Starbucks are fine. Makes for an expensive habit and solution. I’ve also noticed that some anesthesia triggers bowel incontinence for me. It was horrible after my amputation. Add to the fact that I couldn’t walk and it was a disaster. Thank goodness for good nurses who didn’t make me feel bad. I also had diapers shipped to the rehab hospital I was at because I knew they didn’t provide them. I tried so hard to not use them but I eventually gave in. It was not fun but it made things easier for myself and the nurses. I remember when I got there they tried having me use a bedside commode and I couldn’t make it. That’s when I decided diapers were needed. Urinary incontinence I can handle. Fecal incontinence I absolutely hate.

snow -- I believe I did gain some weight, but not a lot. Have decreased dose too. Cut dosage in half because Gabapentin makes me constipated. Taking 300 mg. twice a day, for nerve pain. Also taking Topiramate for Migraine Prevention/Binge Eating. Dulls my appetite & causes weight loss. At start of pandemic I weighed 235. Now 176. So feel as though Topiramate helped me. It does have side effects.
debvollmer -- Have been on Gabapentin 6 years now. You sound just like me, having FI for years. Having anal manometry in May. First time I chickened out. G.I. dr. told me I couldn't take a Valium b4 the procedure either! That really didn't help.
justej -- Thank you for sharing your experience. Wish I could still drink coffee, but it really does increase FI horribly! I feel so tired during the day! Tried Lucy's Mellow Yellow low acid coffee from Amazon. It's easier on the stomach & OAB, but still increases FI!
ritanofsinger -- Can't eat chocolate that much either. Do use PRELIEF capsules available on ebay at the best price. They're for Interstitial Cystitis. You take 2 before eating acidic food or drink. They help me a lot. I usually end of using 6 per meal. Right now can only digest bananas, rice, applesauce, white bread toast & jello. Dealing with PTSD event in therapy. That may be causing stomach upset. Also have Gastritis, inflammation of stomach lining. Stopped taking liquid Carafate for it cuz the liquid made my urethra burn. Now I'm paying the price!

@pegasi99 CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!! That is a wonderful accomplishment. I’m not as skinny as my photo any more, thanks to cancer then hysterectomy then instant post menopausal weight gain. It has been so depressing. I hate it. Wellbutrin has helped, so did COVID a year ago when I coughed so much I threw up almost every day for nearly five months. I pretty easily gave up on eating now that I think I’ll be missing at least 15% of my smell/taste forever.

I have tried Topirimate 2-3 times, also once prescribed to be by brain neurologist for migraines. Have you tried Botox for migraines? It nearly alleviates all my headaches; I can’t recommend it enough. You barely feel a thing with the little needle pricks - unlike in the bladder!!!!!!! Interestingly, the majority of the Botox goes in your neck and trapezius muscles.

You’re right that Topirimate is one of the top eating/craving suppressants. It’s original name is Topamax, commonly called Dopamax because of how dopey and lethargic it can make a person. It is an older drug that was widely used to sedate patients in state hospitals back in the day. With it, even at a very low dose, I experienced “noun failure,” where I couldn’t remember nouns I was trying to say, even though I could see them in my mind’s eye and desperately knew what I was trying to say. It was a huge confidence-destroyer which doesn’t work for my job as a Producer. My brain is usually pretty sharp, and I’m a fast talker, so I couldn’t stand that brain/speech delay; I felt wayyyyyyy too dopey.

Both Gabapentin and Topirimate may be causing your daytime sleepiness. Have you ever tried Wellbutrin for craving suppression? It’s the number one most commonly prescribed medication to help people quit smoking, it’s that powerful. It is a stimulating antidepressant so it gives you energy. Unfortunately, in some people, particularly men, it can inflame the urethra. In me, it has wiped out how good food used to taste so I just don’t want it any more. I started it at the same time I got COVID, so I’m not all that certain which one is suppressing my appetite the most. It’s actually kind of annoying because it’s a chore to eat now. On days like Thanksgiving or Christmas, I don’t take it so I can taste everything in a more pleasant fashion. It certainly saves time and money not to crave eating but I’m thinking it’s actually not that healthy. Unfortunately, my busy job makes it even easier not to eat, also.

Some people lose gobs of weight with Wellbutrin. I only lost 25 lbs. - so far, seems like I’m stuck :( Something is really wrong with my endocrinology after menopause, despite taking two kinds of estrogen replacement therapy (transdermal patch and vaginal cream to prevent prolapse and other things). I need to see an endocrinologist but as usual, here I am barely finishing work at nearly 4:00 a.m. and I already have so many doctors appointments.

Sorry to hear you experience FI and have trouble with acidic foods. Both would drive me crazy! Sounds like you’re a real trooper!

I have been taking gabapentin for several years now, and it has been a godsend for spinal pain. I am surprised to read that some folks have experienced constipation with it. As a sufferer of FI, I dearly wish it would make me constipated!

I too have been on gabapentin for years. I started reducing my daily intake back in April, 2021. I reduced the dosage about 2 or 3 weeks ago and my FI has been much better. I don’t know if the 2 are related.

I'm pretty certain it has caused me weight gain, but not as much as a hysterectomy from cancer, followed by instant menopause. I get ZERO pain relief from Gabapentin, has never helped that way for me. But it helps with sleep, a little. Zero constipation; been on 2400-3200 mg for seven years; I'm even allowed to take up to 6400mg but I wouldn't.

It’s been a while since I’ve visited this site. I’ve had FI for close to 20 years now, tried so many things & had repeated tests done. I have an implanted stim unit now, had it for 3 years, It’s not 100% effective. Unless I’ve overlooked it on the site, I can’t find much information or member response to the Coloplast Peristeen rectal incontinence anal plug. Is anyone familiar with them, had experience using them, or know anything about them? I’m desperate to find out something, have had too many FI accidents lately, so embarrassing, & just trying to go for short walk in my neighborhood. I appreciate any information anyone can provide me. I may try & post something about this on the board, I tried once before but didn’t really get much of a response.

Thanks Lee

Lee -- I also have Fecal Incontinence where it is mostly clear liquid or mucous. Sometimes there is bits of stool in it. It's the worst feeling! I know I should be going for a daily walk. It' so unpleasant though! To feel wet all the time due to FI!! Whenever I stand up, I feel like I have to pee, but I really don't. It's the FI. It's better to sit or lay down. I mostly stay at home inside. I used to have a part-time job but had to quit due to Overactive Bladder (OAB) & FI -- too many trips to the restroom. OAB & FI consumed me. Would like an INTER STIM device, but my Urogynecologist seems hellbent on trying Botox injections first. I had Botox injections for Migraines & they were very painful. I know nothing about the Colo[plast Peristeen rectal incontinence anal plug, sorry to say.

pegasi99 said:
Lee -- I also have Fecal Incontinence where it is mostly clear liquid or mucous. Sometimes there is bits of stool in it. It's the worst feeling! I know I should be going for a daily walk. It' so unpleasant though! To feel wet all the time due to FI!! Whenever I stand up, I feel like I have to pee, but I really don't. It's the FI. It's better to sit or lay down. I mostly stay at home inside. I used to have a part-time job but had to quit due to Overactive Bladder (OAB) & FI -- too many trips to the restroom. OAB & FI consumed me. Would like an INTER STIM device, but my Urogynecologist seems hellbent on trying Botox injections first. I had Botox injections for Migraines & they were very painful. I know nothing about the Colo[plast Peristeen rectal incontinence anal plug, sorry to say.

Pegasi99;

Based on your symptoms; it sounds like you may suffer from constipation issues if you are having the need to go pee but are experiencing FI.

I resonate with your feelings of needing to stay home - as I also suffer from bladder issues (not FI) that cause those dibilitating feelings because I feel like I cannot leave the house with the feeling of judgement for my bladder condition.

---------------

Recently I was hospitalized and opted to go home with a pad inside my underwear. After using a pad inside my underwear on the way home; I realized that might be an option for myself if I was to get a larger pad.

I don't suffer from "small leaks"; on some days I do when I'm continuously running to the bathroom - but I'm afraid with a small pad - after a couple settings I will end up leaking inside my jeans, underwear or shorts.

Therefore, I may look into larger pads to put inside my underwear for daytime usage instead of having to wear a fitted brief on bad days or a pull up. (I'm not sure what is the most cost efficient. I know abena make larger pads; but I'm not sure if Northshore does).

I do not suffer from Fecal Incontinence; but do suffer from painful BMs from time to time - due to what is called an "acute fissure".

But overall; I am trying to live a life where I can love myself and come to terms with needing protection during the day. I have come to terms with the condition for the most part; but these past few months of dealing with health issues, a personal situation involving my Dad, Step Mother, and Landlord - I am left feeling as if nobody in this world understands the pain that I am going through in regards to having to cope with my health issues and live a semi productive life.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

Pegasi99, I don’t know much about the use of Botox for FI, I’ve used it for hyperhydrosis for underarm sweating and it worked great. Makes me think that , well, maybe it will at least keep our butts from sweating! Sorry, I couldn’t help myself, we have to be able to laugh about these things. If you have it done, I’d love to know how it does. I’ve found that what works best for me is using my fiber only at night, 2 tablespoons, using loperamide 1 capsule twice a day, this causes me to have small round hard poo that I’m more able to manage / control until getting to the toilet. If I eat a high fiber meal for dinner, I skip my fiber for the day. I’d love to hear from anyone who’s used the coloplast peristeen FI anal / butt plug. I’ve read about them, not approved in the US, believe it could really make a high difference in my life, wish I could try them.

Okay, I will chime in here.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT do Botox without first having both an Anal Manometry and Defecopraphy test done.

I had both and still when I got Botox I ended up like a newborn baby with my bowels.

All Botox does is paralyze the muscles so the doctor will have to decide what muscles to do the injections into. Once it is done it will last 2 1/2--3 months.

And if you are on medication for constipation you have to keep taking it even with the Botox.

Ask a lot of questions, get the tests done first, and then be ready to deal with FI like you never thought you would as an adult.

Even my surgeon told me up front that it was a long shot to do botox but felt it was worth it due to the spasms I was/am getting. and would only be a few months if/in my case, it made things worse. If you do not have spasms then I would look into other things. (Bowel irrigation, Daily bowel regimen, physical therapy, Biofeedback)

Just my two cents from having botox into my butt.

I ended up with an ostomy bag and will be having my bowel removed at some point as the spasms are still very much there and very painful.

For bladder incontinence, however, Botox is the only treatment or medication that helps me and I can’t recommend it enough! It’s a miracle.

@snow

I forget to say that I only had it for bowel incontinence. I have no experience with it for bladder control.