fecal incontinence Multiple Sclerosis

Many Thanks for your suggestion!
It is the most challenging symptom of MS thus far.
I am 74 and have had MS since age 38.

APRILPARIS,
I missed some of the conversation...
In addition to being incontinent of stool, are there other symptoms associated with your continence? If you are willing/able to describe them, I would be happy to weigh in with Benfrank on some solutions to consider.
Specifically...
Are you incontinent of urine (if so, to what degree) and are the bowel episodes you spoke of daily? Is the stool fully formed or more on the looser stool side?
Hope this is not too much of an intrusion! We all agree that this is a sensitive topic, but this forum is free from judgment or ridicule. We are here to help and share ideas :)

Tranquility ATN is another great all around product. I agree that knowing your level of urinary continence would help with suggestions. For example if you have little or no issue with urine, all three suggestions above may be overkill and you really just need a product to contain the bowel movement, in which case something like Depend's "Protection with Tabs" product could work for a lot less cost per diaper. I do think with bowel incontince a diaper style product is far better than a pull-up.

I completely agree with MaineSkier. In fact, that is why I was probing a bit on the need for APRILPARIS to manage fluids at all. Happy to refine some suggestions if you can supply a bit better profile of your circumstances.

I take a deep breath...
Sepsis twice in 2013. Bladder neurogenic. Surgery for a supra pubic catheter; hence, I wear a bag on the leg.

Magnesium Citrate (500mg daily. Stool is perfect. I just don't have any control of it.

With MS and being age 74, I think I can manage a diaper style rather than a pull up style.

Thanks to all of you who are responding!

Can you comment on the cause of the neurogenic bladder? So is all/most of your fluid managed/contained via the catheter/bag?
Regardless of the manufacturer, someone living with routine-daily fecal incontinence should be wearing a Brief, not protective underwear. This is due to the fastening system (tabs vs. elastic waist band) and the ability of the product to maintain a snug fit once one or more voids have been released into it.

In 2013 I became septic twice; it was because I was retaining urine. NY Hospital urogynocologist recommended a supra pubic catheter. Having MS I could not self-catherize 4 times a day. There is a tube going into a stoma (surgical hole in lower abdomen) and a balloon in the bladder. All urine then flows into a leg bag. This balloon/tube cath has to be changed every 4 weeks by a visiting nurse. It is highly resistant to being changed so there is always stress and "drama" getting the darned thing out.

I agree: tabs would be far better than struggling with pullups.

Thank you for helping; I deeply appreciate your support in this most humbling circumstance.

Thanks...I know this is not any fun to talk about, but the better I (and so many others on this site) understand your particular circumstances, the better we will be able to make suggestions.
Given that your incontinence product is not being called upon to manage fluids, we can certainly eliminate any disposable products whose primary claim is limited largely to just absorption...we have your catheter already handling any need for absorption.
In my mind, this just leaves comfort, concealment, and fit as the features on which now to focus (obviously all of these attributes should be weighed WHILE keeping your eye on price)
I have a feeling you are quite familiar with the different brands available. Just let someone here know if you need some recommendations.

You are correct: comfort, concealment, and fit are important. I have never worn a diaper. This fecal incontinence is a new challenge for me. I am concerned about "some thing nasty" falling out on the floor at a doctor's office. Odor would be so embarrassing. How would I wash up myself at the doctor's office? It is all daunting right now.

Many, Many Thanks for your advice and support!

Never, ever travel without disposable wet wipes. It's OK to buy the brands geared towards children (they are the easiest to find), but ultimately you'll want to find one made specifically for adults.
As long as you are wearing a disposable brief (with tabs), and you have made sure that it is a snug fit, the chance that you'll have an "escapee" is really pretty minimal. May I ask, are you able to detect when you are actively voiding your bowels...are you aware of it as it happens?
As far as the odor, there are a few products out there that deal with the odors associated with bladder leakage quite well.
They have yet to invent a product that can successfully prevent or overcome the odors associated with bowel movements.

ARGH!
It is certainly a new learning experience.
MS has caused lesions on the spine; hence, some times there is a sensation that a BM is going to happen. At other times, there is a surprise event.

I greatly appreciate your tips; thank you from the bottom of my heart!

OK, let me ask this...

Have you ever kept a log/diary of when your BM's are occurring each day/throughout the day?
Do you tend to have the same # of BM's from day to day?
Do you know, offhand, whether there is any sort of notable pattern in terms of times?
Are you aware of any triggers (i.e. coffee, certain types of food, after a certain meal, after a nap, after sitting for an extended period, etc.)??
Lastly, you said that most of your BM's are solid (or what many of us call "fully formed". Has your GP ever suggested any sort of fiber supplement?
Lots of questions!!

Yes; I have kept a log. This is what has been so frustrating. There is no same time of day to predict a BM. I have tried to eat the same foods at the same hours to try to establish a pattern.

The physician assistant of my neurologist of the MS Center, NY Hospital, said: " get diapers". My GP said: "do your best".

I am wheel-chair and bed-bound, and I am living in my living room with a hospital bed and commode five feet away from this pc. Fecal incontinence has been a life-changing event. I do not want visitors, do not leave the house, and I dread any doctor appointments. Appointments with doctors who still accept Medicare take a 3 hour wait time.
There is a lot of angst when I leave the security of my house.

Stools are perfect. There is not constipation. Why do you ask about a fiber supplement?

I only asked about a fiber supplement because sometimes they help us to establish a more consistent voiding schedule. It was a bit of a long-shot really.

I'll continue to give it some thought, but I've got to leave for a meeting presently.

Hang in there!
Ken

If you have reliable assistance, you might consider washables. My bowel control difficulty is caused by stomach paralysis, which is different than MS. Granted that an inventory of washables is expensive, over time they soon pay for themselves. On the advice of my gastroenterologist, before I spend time away from home I clean myself out with laxatives, suppositories and enemas. What isn't in cannot come out. You would need assistance to do that, but it might relieve you of some anxiety. Good luck.