External Catheter

Archives1

Staff member
I have OAB and wear Depend Real Fit 24/7. When attending functions like a movie or concert, I need to get up to use the bathroom 2-3 times to urinate because my Depend will not hold a full bladder. Would a condom catheter help manage my frequent urge to urinate so I don’t have to get up at an event? I don’t want to use a high capacity diaper because I don’t want to have to change it when it is wet. Has anyone had good results with external catheters? I am thinking of trying men’s Liberty or Conveen Optima with a leg bag. Does insurance cover external catheters.

Some insurance companies will cover only external catheters. My experiences with external are not good. I would recommend a brief like better dry or dry 24/7. Yes, they are thicker but no one will notice. If you’re looking for thinner Abena (plastic backed) are good too. I’d stay away from cloth backed because they don’t mask odor and are known for leaking.

Used them for years with great success, from night time, to riding a motorcycle. A proper fit is a must, or they WILL fail. Mentor Long seal is VERY secure, more adhesive, along with a skin prep, it won't budge for 24 hours, adhesive remover to get it off is also a must. Urocare makes a great legbag holder as well, much better then the strap system most bags have.

Never have used a condom cath. I’m a foley user as I have incredible discomfort when my bladder fills up so the foley keeps me empty. I will definitely agree with skinnyb that the urocare legbag holder is AWESOME!!! I use them extensively and have for the last 4 years.

I researched the Urocare leg bag holder. Do you prefer to wear it on your calf or your thigh? Can you recommend a certain leg bag?

I wear mine on my right calf. I use the Bard medium size legbag (I believe it’s the 19 ounce size) with the 18” extension tubing. The only thing I would change about the urocare holder is that it would be nice to have it in colors other than white. The white shows dirt and looks “ratty” after a while.

Do you have to dispose the Bard bags daily or can you wash them and reuse them for several days? Do you wear the bag on the inside of the thigh, outside, or on the front of the thigh. Is there a noticeable bulge when the bag is full? I’m a little nervous to start using the external catheters but this OAB and BPH is causing me to miss out on life by staying close to a bathroom.

I wear mine on the calf, on the inner side. For bags O really like the Hollister 9805, large enough to handle a full bladder and then some. I empty after going, yes, the bulge is noticeable if not drained.

I tried wearing a supreme plastic backed diaper and I didn't like the bulk. I’m sure it would take some getting used to. The capacity was good for two wettings but started to leak on the third wetting. My concern when out in public, is how do I discretely carry changing supplies to change in a public restroom or someone else’s home? I tried a Conveen Optima external catheter with a Conveen Active leg bag so I can wear shorts and that seems to be a good solution to my problem. My only concern is, how do I discreetly empty the bag while standing at a public urinal if a stall is not available?

There really is no "discreet' way to empty the leg bag, no way around it, I would wait for a stall. If it is high enough up the leg, it may be possible, but still noticeable. I have seen Urostomy patients empty their collection bag at a urinal, but it is at the beltline, a bit easier to be discreet.

I let my catheter drain right into my diaper. My urologist said it’s safe as long as I keep clean and we’ll hydrated.

Before anything you need to find out how much you are voiding. A legbag only holds 500ml (or about 16 oz). That is something to think about.