External catheter vs clamp

kruznkru

Still recovering from prostate surgery and standing for a length of time is a serious problem with leaking. Been trying to use a penile clamp (lungren) but very uncomfortable.
Been thinking about an exrenal catheter to get some of my life back.
Has anyone having any luck with the external catheter ? Or better brand to try ? Does it work traveling (airport) ?
Or a better penile clamp
Any info would help

Hi, i use external catheters only when going on vacation so i don’t have to carry lots of diapers. I never used clamps so i can’t advise what is more comfortable but i never had issues using an external catheter. Just make sure to use the right size and shave well. It’s also easy to use it if you still have some control. Just open the catheter bag valve when you release your bladder on the toilet. The catheter bag and the way to attach it to the leg does however have a big influence on feeling comfortable. Using a bag pouch or straps, attaching it to the upper or lower leg makes a big difference.
I use Coloplast Optima which works well even for the night and for a couple of days. When traveling and not being able to empty the catheter bag i use a 500ml standard leg bag in a pouch on my upper leg. When its full though it slippes down and i wish i could find a pouch that can be strapped around the hip that holds the bag firmly. In and around a hotel and beach where I can empty the bag easily i use the Coloplast Active leg bag which is much more comfortable but holds only 250ml. The airport scanner might recognize the catheter bag when there is urine in it. Therefore a doctor's note can help.

Thanks !
I tried to ordered samples from Coloplast and got a “someone will call you “ reply.
Guess they’ll call Monday
Correct sixe must be important

I have some underwear that has pockets on the legs specifically for catheter bags. I used them when I had an indwelling catheter for a couple of months, but I bet they'd work equally well for an external catheter. The nice thing was that it eliminated the problems with the bag sliding down my leg. If you search Amazon for catheter underwear, you can find them - at about $50 they're not cheap, but they were worthwhile for me.

Thanks !
I tried to ordered samples from Coloplast and got a “someone will call you “ reply.
Guess they’ll call Monday
Correct sixe must be important
Probably they will send you a size card after which some sample will be sent. It's a bit difficult to determine the correct size. A nurse gave me some advise but honestly i don't remember what it was ... All remember is that it was a hassle.

I have some underwear that has pockets on the legs specifically for catheter bags. I used them when I had an indwelling catheter for a couple of months, but I bet they'd work equally well for an external catheter. The nice thing was that it eliminated the problems with the bag sliding down my leg. If you search Amazon for catheter underwear, you can find them - at about $50 they're not cheap, but they were worthwhile for me.
I see what you mean, for $50 it might be a good investment. Previously i used 1 legged pants from 2 seperate brands. The strap around the hip was a bit strange from both and they still slided down which made it very awkward wearing them. Another downside is that other then the mesh cloth of a leg pouch they were made of normal cotton cloth. The urine smell that every catheter bag has was absorbed by it and soon unable to wash out. The mesh cloth legbags do not take in the smell as bad as the cotton ones.
When i had a indwelling catheter the bag was strapped to my lower leg. But when on vacation to a warm country this is not an option.

Found these on Amazon - see attached - not sure if attachment went thru
Seems pockets a little high for drainage ?
Luckily my wife sews pretty good so if pockets to high could lower if needed
Gotta be able to get out more while recovering without looking for a restroom as soon as I get somewhere:)

Last edited:
Went to PT today and therapist recommended NOT to use external catheter because it could make your bladder weak ?
She recommended the clamp (I’m having luck with Pacey Cuff) it’s tricky to put on but much more comfortable than the other clamps for me.
Now with urge to pee after you just went (you know pee is not needed) fight as long as you can to build up your bladder
So gunna pass on catheter for now
Thought I’d pass along

Last edited:
Good to hear! I've got pretty bad incontinence and I always shudder when my uro suggests catheterization, or a clamp. I manage pretty well with diapers, but it is kind of a hassle when traveling. I was having issues with urinary retention and was close to going the cath route but we switched some meds and I'm emptying better, but still not much bladder control.

K..,
My engineer partner and I just received a patent on our soft external aid that can be worn 24/7 to manage incontinence. It is not yet for sale, but if you'd like to see some info before joining our other volunteer testers would be happy to send our instruction sheet. Since comfort is the number one criterion, we recommend also using a backup liner (per day) to ensure confidence when out and about. Do let me know if you'd like to learn more. Best wishes. info@assure-medical.com