Experience with Dr. Daniel Elliott - Mayo Clinic -- AUS surgeon?

Archives1

Staff member
Greetings, I am 74 and had a robotic prostatectomy about 14 months ago. My incontinence has improved since the surgery, but I still use 10+ pads per day for stress incontinence and seldom feel an urge to urinate during the day. At night I usually wake up once and do feel an urge to go, but leak some on the way to the toilet. (I do Kegels daily, walk 5 miles or cycle 15 miles most days and have seen pelvic PT and an acupuncture therapist.)

I recently met with Dr. Elliott at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. Dr. Elliott indicated that it is very unlikely my situation will improve and recommended AUS surgery.

I have the following questions:

1. Has anyone known persons with severe stress incontinence a year after RP (10 pads or more per day) who have significantly improved (2 pads or less per day)without sling or AUS surgery?

2. Has anyone had experience with AUS surgery performed by Dr. Elliott?

Thanks for your consideration.

I am very interested in the answers you receive. I am 9 months out from RALP. My incontinence is improving and after starting PT a month ago I feel optimistic. I use two to three pads a day but during a round of golf or two hours of pickleball, all bets are off. I have wondered about the sling and the AUS but am not ready to give up on the PT yet. Let's hear from those that know more about this.

I had the AUS surgery this past July at Froedtert hospital in Milwaukee with Dr. O'Conner. I had my prostrate removed from Bellin in Green Bay last October. I had plenty of issues after surgery, with having to wear Depends and a heavy pads daily. Would go through 6-8 a day. After the AUS surgery I am now wearing a LIGHT pad that will last all day and night, with very little leakage. If I golf, or do heavy lifting or exercise, I may go through two pads. Doctor believes this will get better over time. I still have the Botox in my system from first doctors decisions, so it has to run it's course.

DJG
I was in almost the exact situation as you. I was 14 months out and unable to get out of diapers, let alone pads No radiation only RP. I also was doing pelvic pt and walking. I’m 64 and pretty healthy. My urologist referred me to a surgeon at Fox Chase in Philadelphia who specializes in incontinence surgery. I was hoping for a sling procedure to avoid any need for manipulation to void but he said my leakage was too severe for that. On July 27 I underwent AUS surgery and it was activated 6 weeks later.
I’m now wearing regular underwear (with a pad) and for the most part very happy with the decision. Using the AUS is not an issue for the most part. I still have a need for a pad if I’m working on my feet all day. I do patient care for a living, no heavy lifting but pretty active. I have a post op appointment in a month and will discuss the results with them. My biggest issue is that when I sit down on a bench or chair the pressure makes me leak a little squirt of a few cc’s that come out too fast for a pad to 100% catch. I’ve had to change pants or underwear a couple of times.
It’s still light years from where I was prior to surgery. If you want to reach out directly please do, I found a conversation with someone who has been through it was helpful for me.
Boomer59

I too were in the same situation as you DGJ. I was about 5 pads and 2 Depends Underwear per day. Did all the exercises but still leaked. I elected the AUS Surgery in April this year, after 6 weeks it was activated. Wore my pad and depends home, got home and I was dry. I use 1 light pad in my boxers daily, for the most part it remain dry, just a minor dribble once in awhile. I could probably go without the pad but I wear it because I’m afraid of surprises.
To sum it up I’m 100% satisfied and I recommend you get it. You’ll be pleased. I’m 68.

I very much appreciate your responses. I have used the search function to locate past comments on AUS and the vast majority are happy with the procedure. Thanks again for your comments.

WUImen & donegatf - I also hoped that Pelvic PT would provide a solution - the therapist's experience is there is very little likelihood of improvement if severe incontinence persists after 6 months.

Thanks again.

DJG

Thanks everyone for your insight. I’m going through the same thing as described in your posts. I’ve given up on Kegels and am currently wearing a clamp a pad and a diaper. I go through about six pads and two diapers daily even with the clamp. I have scheduled Pelvic PT to try to regain some control but I’m not too optimistic. I’m very active and leaking when I work, lift, sneeze, cough, getting up from sitting etc. I’m about 7 months post RP so I’ll give it some more time before my followup in January. I also take a bunch of medication for diabetes and high blood pressure which the doctor says doesn’t help my situation. I’ll talk to the doctor about AUS at that time.