Epilepsy Unit

Archives1

Staff member
Tomorrow, I go for a stay in the Epilepsy unit for 3-7 days depending on how long it takes to trigger a seizure. So much fun!! LOL. You are confined to your bed unless accompanied to shower etc. you are on video 24/7, they torture you with sleep deprivation up to 36 hours straight, strobe lights removing your medications.. so while changing in the bed you are on video etc.. I hope it happens super quick within first day, if not I will end up super grumpy and will end up being short with staff and just an unhappy person. I am a very social and happy person with a good sense of humor, I just hope it doesn’t get to that LOL. Hope everyone has a good week as I am being tortured LOL!

So very sorry. Especially in light of you being so gracious thinking of the staff!
What do they expect to gain from studying your personal case?
Is your incontinence a response to a seizure or a constant issue?

My incontinence has nothing to do with my epilepsy. They want to narrow down the exact area that are affected and causing the seizures and would want to try a Implant Device that when possible onset of a seizure a magnet is swiped and controls it from happening or being you out of a seizure. They also would want to do a surgery to remove a tiny piece of brain that could stop seizure sites from happening. I would never even entertain that surgery, being that bias a back surgery in 2016 and that is when my seizures began after a complication from that surgery. It will all turn out good I am sure, just not looking forward to being there away from wife and dogs..

Hi @Wbwayne11 That does not sound like a week to look forward to in the slightest! So let's hope they get all the information they need on the first day so you can return to your wife and dogs even sooner than expected.
And you have my best wishes and we look forward to hearing from you again really soon!

Wbwayne11 - Torture is what it sounds like. Have you had this done before? I am so sorry that you are going to have to endure this. Hopefully the cause for the seizures will be learned and there will be a fix for you. We will be pulling for you.

I understand what Wayne is going through, because I had something similar done to me when I was 10/11 years old. it may seem stressful but if it mean a way to control your seizure isn't that a good thing??? AS for me i have EPILEPSY for most of my life and it's control with meds. good luck to you. you will get through it.

The total loss of privacy is hard. One thing you can count on, I think. The medical profession, and nurses in particular, are not only confidentiality-fanatics, they are monitored heavily. It's a firing offense, can lead to loss of license, too. They've seen it all, before, and seen your feelings. Just do your best to be a good patient and apologize, if neccessay. I suspect they get few apologies and appreciate them.
Here's to a 1-day visit!

Hi @Wbwayne11, that's good to hear that you're feeling great so far. We'll hope for smooth sailing for you! :D