Eat Drink and be Merry

Archives1

Staff member
a thread on here about mental health put me in mind how good i felt to say i drink coffee. Probably not a good idea for an Overactive Bladder. But no one called me out.That was wonderfully kind! We all have food and drink we love yet know it might not be good for us.
Does anyone's doctor ask what we eat or drink???
If you would like to participate in a non judgmental moveable feast, please tell us what comfort food and drink you enjoy regardless of how it might affect your condition.
we can share a meal together December 25th!

@Maymay941

Coffee drinker here and proud of it. Yes, it makes me feel good to sip hot coffee and read my morning newspapers. Love good restaurant coffee, too.

My urologist has no reservations over my coffee 'habit'. Ditto with two GPs I've consulted.

Yes, I have a sweet tooth for pastry and chocolate fudge.

Now & again a beer or wine when the mood is right.

Moderation is key, but that's true with or without incontinence, right?

Cheers to all -- 'tis the season.

Holidays are hard on mental health, sometimes ordinarily, and Incontenience makes it worse..
There's a thread on food and chemicals, on here. I can drink a cup of coffee in the AM, maybe until 1 PM. Sugar is a no-no in the evening. The amount of liquid consumed in the evening makes a difference. No Sucrolose at any time. I've no idea what alcohol does because i can't drink it - it's incompatible with my medications. ("Oh, just a sip or it spoils the toast" turns into a pint, if you let them force it on you.) Remember, everyone is different. Maybe you can drink coffee (caffeine) or maybe not. I've shut them down with "well, that's the way it works for me." Or: "That's my story and I'm sticking to it."
Holiday dinners are like a restaurant - you can always ask for water, not coffee, probably not tea unless a herbal tea. If there are kids, maybe milk can work (socially, i mean.) Someone will reach across and pour you a cup of coffee? Just don't drink it.
Due to brain cancer (Bad luck never comes alone), water (tap water or bottled or distilled, doesn't matter) tastes like it has soap in it, to me. A squirt of Lime juice solves the taste issue, and seems to help lower the volume i use/want. Lemon works. Neither of which have calories.
Some of my family "pushes" food - like, seriously. You "have" to have a piece of Aunt Rhodie's pie or she'll cry. (She will.) .... "Just a small slice" would serve two teenage boys. ...."That isn't enough. Here, have another serving of dressing." Plop. ...."It's Christmas; once a year, ignore the calories." (This from the 350-pounder.) ....See if you can make your own servings - "I like to taste everything, so i limit how much to leave room. Everyone's cooking in this family is just so good." (A little bit of honey helps the medicine go down...)
So, invent "reasons". "Sorry, coffee just doesn't seem to agree with me, anymore." If they persist on the "whys", (If your family is as nosy as mine and think they know better than any doctor or nurse.) just shrug. Or: "The Doc doesn't know why". You have to listen to endless stories and advice about the miracle fruit that cures diabetes or whatever. Just let it in one ear and out the other. Nod. Grunt at appropriate places. Ignore. Another tactic? "I read these three articles in the scientific journals. I don't use the internet and Google for medical matters. 99% is house-pucky." "Sorry, Reader's Digest (or AARP, for that matter), don't meet the standards for scientific research."
It's all a challenge to your mental health. Maybe your spouse will let you vent on the way home - or maybe she'll pass it on (God help you).
Try meditation. Soothing music. Non-soothing music. Something!
Good Luck!

Boy! you said a mouthful!
It hit on a really important issue(to me) which is why does anyone think its ok to invade your body with food!!
You've really brought a lot of food for thought here. Thank you.
Merry Christmas and pass the ammunition.

While coffee doesnt do anything to my urinary incontinence it does effect my bowels. Needless to say a coffee a day keeps me regular. :)

I worked for Starbucks for 3 years and that got me hooked on caffiene. That and my vape are my 2 vices. I am working on quitting the vape though.

I have urge urinary incontinence that is severe enough that I have virtually no control of my bladder. Beer and coffee go right through me. But since I have to wear a diaper 24/7 anyway, I don’t worry about the extra urine that they produce.

So far my personal research on my own apparently not diabetic body with nocturia:
any SUGAR food or drink,
CITRUS or acidic drinks,
MILK in liquid form(but not processed milk like ice cream cheese whipped cream)
cause extreme amount of urine production at night.
coffee and wine dont seem to be a problem.

Thanks, Maymay94! Appreciate knowing someone else knows we are all different and that's okay. Milk in liquid form is alright for me if not in excess. Going to experiment with Citrus, since we eat so much fresh fruit.