Dry at night, but deluge during the day??

Archives1

Staff member
2 months out from robotic prostate removal, and am using 5 depends a day and still leaking like a sieve. I am doing all the exercises as directed. I don't understand why I am dry all night, but then the day starts and I'm back to a leak-fest. Is there an explanation for this other than gravity? Has anyone else experienced this? What is going on?
Thanks for any insight

Honestly I would assume gravity. I haven’t had my prostate removed I just suffer incontinence from ms and the amount of fluids I consume.

You may want to look at switching away from depends if you want a product which can actually hold more. I use depends real fit just as my daily underwear however if I am travelling or know I will be on site walk throughs I put on a full tape on brief such as abena m4s or confidry or north shore mega max or rearz. A much better pull-up would be abena abri-flex m3 just as an FYI. It’s just depends don’t hold much to begin with. Lol.

Hope you are doing well all things considered

I had the same problem when my prostate was removed 1 year and 2 months ago. It will improve with time for you. In my case it wend down from 4-5 to 1 diaper per day, but for the past 5-6 months I had no further improvement despite doing Kegels. I don't have leakage at night, sitting or laying, which proves that gravity is a problem. As times goes by I think more and more that 1 diaper/day becomes permanent.

4 months out since prostate surgery.I was also frustrated with same.
I was told at night you are laying down and the muscle does not need to support the bladder.when standing the muscle is still weak to support the bladder resulting in leakage
Kegel exercise will help If performed everyday.
Hang in there

Hi I had my prostrate removed at the end of January. It is a very slow recovery. I am ok at night but still have no control when walking or trying to do simple tasks. It's very frustrating but you need to be patient. I do the exercises 4 times a day. The consultant days you can continue improving even after a year. Good luck! Russ

I agree that daytime gravity is the big enemy for many of us! I too had prostate cancer but chose radiation treatment. However, I have had two TURPS resulting in the removal of tissue needed to support continence. My last TURP was January, 2017, and I have been incontinent since then. Dry @ night, but use 1-2 medium TENA pads per day.

I do Kegels daily, and I believe they are beneficial. But my real problem is the damage that was done to my INTERNAL sphincter/bladder neck. Since these "parts" are controlled involuntary, and therefore cannot be "exercised", the Kegels don't help them.

I have read where the internal sphincter & bladder neck are removed when you have a prostatectomy. If that's the case then I can't see how you could ever regain full continence (ie. before surgery), as it is my understanding that the bladder neck and both sphincters (internal & external) are required for full continence. If someone has some insight here I'd love to hear it!!

I read that external sphincter working properly is sufficient for full continence. Women have only external sphincter and it works OK for most of them.

nild19, I have wondered about males that claim to reach full continence after prostatectomy. Of course those men aren't likely to be part of this website, since we are the ones who have the problem. And sometimes I think that doctors claim you are "fully continent", even if you have periodic leaks and need to wear a pad for safety.

Also, I'll bet there are some surgeons who are very careful to "save" as much internal sphincter & bladder neck tissue as they can (thereby increasing your odds of regaining continence), where other surgeons want bigger margins, and remove more tissue than absolutely required. In my case it was having a TURP performed on previously radiated prostate/bladder neck tissue that created my problem. A little extra scrape of the knife and here I am!

All that said, I would encourage anyone, male or female, to get pelvic floor therapy from a qualified therapist; learn to do Kegels correctly; and make it a regular & lifelong habit of doing them.