Double incontinence after stroke

Archives1

Staff member
Hi to all.
I’m male, and a few months ago I had a stroke which affected my bowels on the left. Plus, I have bladder incontinence.
Apparently my bowels don’t ‘pulse’ on the left, which means I don’t go for a few days, but when I do it’s like an explosion of gallons of backed up liquid. I only get about a minute to reach a toilet or it’s too late.
I can spend up to 90 minutes in the toilet emptying my bowels, and go again several times over the next few days. And the smell is awful and embarrassing. I saw a continence nurse who prescribed me Movicol, but it either makes no difference or makes it worse depending how many I take and when. With my bladder it’s a matter of no warning, just I have to get to a toilet in the next minute. I’m seeing a consultant and having a CT scan for my bladder.
I’m afraid of going out now. Is there anything out there I can wear to hold all this mess and smell in until I can get to a toilet or home. I just worry that because of the amount and the smell it will come out of whatever pads/pants I wear and through my clothes.
And what are the practicalities of changing these pants? I have mobility issues, and taking my trousers off alone to change would be a strain for me.
Are these pants, if there are any, bulky things? I mostly wear tracksuit bottoms but if I wore trousers would they be so very obvious?
Many thanks,
Steve

I have been doubly incontinent since a spinal injury in early 2013. It has been managed quite well, District nurses give me a bowel evacuation on alternate days and I have a suprapubic catheter. Good luck, Barry

Hi Barry.
Sorry to hear about your injury, but pleased you're managing to get on with life.
Before I look into going down the same avenue as you, I'd like to try and cope myself if I can.
It looks as if nobody has the answer to my problem.
Oh well, onwards and upwards.
Cheers Barry,
Steve