dogs & incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Do you have a big dog? At night, does your dog always sprawl out between you and the bathroom? Have you communicated with your dog about that? Have you sent your dog to counseling?
Just asking.

I just don’t get up. I’d only leak the whole way to the bathroom anyway. I use a veeeeery long pad that I wrap around me as a barrier so my dogs (standard poodles) don’t get peed on!

AlasSouth,

Do you have a big dog? - Yes

At night, does your dog always sprawl out between you and the bathroom? - Yes

Have you communicated with your dog about that? - Yes

Have you sent your dog to counseling? - No, but I have enriched her vocabulary with four letter words that I normally don't use in polite conversation.

Greensleeves

Quirky questions, @AlasSouth, and quite spooky in that the terror of a night-time tumble over a prone pooch has always prevented my purchase of a pet.
That, and my stoic certainty that any canine companion would disdain to discuss their nocturnal disposition.
Sigh.
I'll pass on a pet, but perhaps I should consider counselling?

Yes, I have a big dog.
The dog likes to lie next to me when sleeping.
Guaranteed, when I get back from the bathroom the dog is lying on my pillow. It is like he wants to make sure he gets attention before he moves.
They are smart!

A good night-light can help, or a flashlight on the bedside table. The stores here have a depressingly low and depressingly poor choice of night lights.
We can't even imagine being without a dog, anymore. And due to the mice and red-backed voles, are considering getting a cat. (Our old one passed on not that many months ago. Old age.
Yeah, you have to consider, and should, a lot when taking on a pet. Cats can take care of themselves for a few days. Dogs? Hours is really the limit. Can you find a dog-sitter or a kennel (a good one of either?). Size. Personality. Breed (or breeds). Where you live. Commitment to trainingThat's just the start.
Our previous dog headed straight for (any) car - not just ours. She loved to ride. Of course, she figured she'd get to walk off-leash - and she was often right. We're lucky - we lived where we can do that, but we got her when lived in town. (Cancer, but she lived 10 years & a good life). Yellow lab/Golden Retriever mix.
There is the training any dog should get.
Our smallest dog was a Karelian Bear Dog. Our son-in-law got it for the daughter - they lived in bear country near Sand Point, Idaho). He was a pound rescue that we inherited. Calm, and good with people and children. He did chase a few bears away on walks (blackies). Karelians chase away and return quickly. There's a woman with a pack, hired to chase away bears in Yellowstone Nat'l Park.
We had an Akita (bear/guard dogs). Rescue (his owner was going to jail). 3 years old. Funny story how we got her. Big, muscular, beautiful, sweet but very dignified, not demonstrative. Wonderfully trained. She slopt inthe living room. She chased a bear from home (we lived in town, then) and didn't come back for over an hour. You have to watch Akitas around children, but children should be trained about dogs, too, even if you don't have one. An Akita's idea of discipline and a human's are different. We'd say, "Yes, you can greet her and pet, but let me teach you how to greet a big dog." Our grand kids were about 6 and 8; they did fine. They got trained! He did fine on the leash or off-leash.
We had a yellow lab/golden retrieve mix. Girl. It took a very long time to get over her death. A sweetheart. We had a dog-bed in the bedroom, on the floor, out of the way. Another in the living room. She preferred to be anywhere we were. Another rescue, about 6 months old. I timed her, once. She loved to run. At 3 years old, she did 21 mph for well over a mile. On the forest walks, she did 5 miles to our 1. She swallowed a big fishhook (A "J" hook). She loved dead salmon and that's where we lived - where salmon run. We kept a half gallon of mouth wash in the truck so we could get the smell down when she rolled in one. She never rode in the cab - until the 1st winter, here, and it went to 10-30 below. Until arthritis didn't let her jump to the tailgate. We bought a dog-ramp. That's what got her - arthritis.
The next was the very big mutt I was talking about. Another rescue.
There are so many things you have to consider when or if you get a dog - but the biggest one is love. We have been so blessed to love and be loved by dogs
And dogs don't care if you are incontinent.
When I die, I'm going to ask God why parrots live to 99, and dogs 12. On the other hand, that lets you love and be loved by more dogs.
Our favorite breed is Rescue.
When I wrote the original post, our dog had died the day before. Multiple, very serious medical causes that we didn't know about until the week before. Our next decision? We are 74 and 78. It is very hard on a dog when their people die. But how do we live without a dog to love and to be love by?
Damn. My eyes are too watered-up to continue.
Make the right decision before you get a dog. We have never regreted one. But that's us.