Does UTI worsen your Incontinence?

Archives1

Staff member
Hey guys,

Happy Wednesday to you all. I was in a little bit of a dilemma this morning but it's been resolved. But it got me thinking; does UTI worsen your bladder incontinence as well?

I'm without transportation so having to rely on walking for the time being; which means long distances I have to scout for bathroom breaks as if I have a bad day I have to be in reach of a bathroom when I can make it.

However, this morning I woke up with a UTI - and of course; in a situation where I have to walk a long distance. Within the first half hour of being up I knew it was going to be an impossible task without protection - but luckily am going to be able to get a ride to make the trips a little bit easier.

Have you found UTIs have worsen your Incontinence? I don't know exactly why; as I suffer from spasms; but I've found when I get them - I have issues with constant dribbling.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

Yeah I had a pretty bad UTI back in June. Had to be hospitalized for a couple days. The thing is is that it was my first UTI so I did not know the symptems till I started urinating blood. I had no burning or discolorization or pain. But in hindsight I now realize a clue to my UTI coming on was that my incontinence was very irregular. I would have a good day followed by two bad days, and vice versa. There was no regularity. So yes I would definitely agree that if you are getting a UTI then it follows at least for me your leakage will be all over the place. (Pun not intended)

Yes Indeed... As well as an ongoing prostate infection that I take antibiotics for and probably will take indefinitely since every time I have stopped per urologist suggestion... infection always comes back after a month or so.

Yes, I get them fairly frequently. They make my urgency way worse and I dribble way more frequently, but painfully so. I have to wear a tape on nappy 24/7 when I have a UTI (can normally get away with guards and pull ups during the day)as I will just have accident after accident and can’t live my life at all without them.

When I saw my doctor the first time for my bedwetting and daytime urge incon, the FIRST thing they tested for was a UTI. So yes, a UTI is a common cause.

I get spasms from a spinal injury. 40mg Baclofen and 0.5mg Clonazepam per day give a little relief. I have had UTIs but I did not notice a connection with incontinence. By taking 50mg Nitrofurantoin when a UTI looks imminent (sweating, sediment in my suprapubic catheter) I haven't had a serious UTI for a long time. It also stops catheter blockages by killing the bacterium which creates the sediment.

@Honeeecombs a change in my oab symptoms is often the first sign of a uti. I can usually spot an infection early enough to stop it getting too bad by taking nitrofrurantoin.