Does Medicare or Supplements pay for Depends

Archives1

Staff member
Does medicare pay for depends undergarments and pads for post prostatectomy? I thought i read on here that they do. My doc called in an Rx, but Wslmart said not covered.

I'm on Medicare and have Humana supplement but pay for my depends.I don't know if its different in each state but I'm in Oklahoma.

If you are on Original Medicare (which means you show your actual Medicare card for services), you won't have an ongoing $$$ benefit to help with your Depends. Since you mentioned a Humana supplement I know you are on Original Medicare.

If you switch to a Medicare Advantage plan (which means you will receive your Medicare services from a private insurance company like UnitedHealthcare or Blue Cross), you will likely have a set amount of monthly credit $$$ with which you can purchase Depends (or whatever brand of incontinence products your insurance company allows) via an Over-the-Counter benefit that most insurers offer. This benefit is usually something like $25 per month or $60-$80 per quarter.

There are several very important factors to take into consideration if you want to consider switching Medicare coverage models. I do this for a living so if you have any questions just let me know.

Thanks for the insurance info, but I have been happy with the bulk of my experience and hopefully wont need them much longer. Plus, Im afraid to switch.

Sounds good. Most people that have Original Medicare + Supplemental coverage are very happy with that coverage model. Good luck with situation!

there are much better products on the market than Depends they are the most well known as they advertise the most but unless your leakage is light to maybe moderate they are useless

I tried some other by buying samples and I liked the depends as much as the other plus I use the pads inside. I change pads 3-4x a day but down to 1-2 a day no Post prostatectomy. I am ambulatory and able to switch out pads during the day. If I didnt have the pads then maybe I wouldnt like the depends as much...they arent really challenged but they fit me well

As mentioned Medicare does NOT cover diapers and pull-ups. I’ve had Medicare since 2007 (I’m on social security disability) and was met with that issue when I had my accident in 2015 that required me to start wearing diapers. I also have Medicaid and that does pay for diapers but they are crappy ones. I do believe they pay for depends pull-ups though. Not what I need but if you have state Medicaid or are eligible it bay be something to look into.

In the most recent news letter "on the go", (I got it 8/26/20) it says you can deduct supplies from your taxes. It mentioned needing a doctors prescription in some cases. I assume that is only if you qualify for the medical deduction, but what do I know?
I tried to ask a question and found out NAFC doesn't recognize my email address. How that can be when I get the notifications and On The GO, I don't know. But what do I know?
Check out the article.
There was a mention of lowering cost if you can afford to buy in bulk.

I would assume if you meet the medical deduction, then everything over that only can be deducted. I dont know if it includes the products mentioned. I think you can take them thru HSA

Doug: yes, there is a minimum you have to reach. I think it may be 10% of your adjusted gross income. A rumor that the 10% has been reduced for this year due to Covid19. However, remember the costs are cumulative. In other words, your incontinence supplies can put you over the top. You add up your total med costs. If over the minimum, you can deduct anything over that minimum, no matter the individual items, if they are on the IRS list and, maybe, if you have a Doc's prescription along with the receipts.
It has nothing to do with Medicare, I'm pretty sure. I've used the Med deduction in past. I may qualify in 2020 for the first time in a couple of decades. You'd be amazed what was permissible in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Haven't seen the IRS list in some years, as I never crossed the Med Deduction thresh-hold, even though I was doing the Long Form.
Oh yeah. I just remembered that if you get reimbursement or partial reimbursement from insurance or somewhere, then that part is not part of the deduction. So you do need to keep pretty complete records and proofs - like all things with IRS.
You might be right about HSA. Check it out! Great idea.
I'd check with your tax preparer or do a LOT of research with the IRS! They used to have a specific medical deduction booklet. It's online, now, but you may be still able to get it by requesting a mailed copy.
Thanks Doug and Cmulwee

No not in Florida either. And @cmulwee thank you for offering to answer questions about switching Medicare coverage models. But for now I'm satisfied with what I've got. And as @AlasSouth mentioned buying in bulk is also worth considering. Although the initial expense will be larger I think that buying by the cased (which has four packets) will work out to be cheaper than buying four packets individually.