Does anybody know how to use Final Cut/Pro

Archives1

Staff member
Hey guys;

For the techies that are out there - is there anybody out there that know how to use movie editing software like Final Cut? I want to get a macbook in the future - and one of my hobbies would be to try to learn something so that i can further my creative endevours by sharing my thoughts that sometimes goes into a vaccuum of sorts out into the world. I like Michael Moores view on filmaking - "Don't make a documentary - make a MOVIE" - and i like the common topics of his work on "The Big One" and i feel that the area we are in; whether it takes me months or even years to learn, make something that could be cool regardless of my mental health issues.

Some days are better than others - but i think with help and resources, i could learn something that can keep my mind active from detrusive and my paranoid thought process.

I know there are some folks my age - maybe even older that frequent these boards that may or may not possess these skills - so even if i dont end up being able to learn it; i can at least try to do novice stuff to help out a friend and his youtube channel.

These types of hobbies do help - as ive found peace in the arts. Its a natural way to keep my mind off my health and my psychiatric condition.

Cut,
Honeecombs

There are plenty of resources for FCP. I would start by visiting an Apple Store. They have trainings and resources. As to MacBooks, if you want to edit video you will want an M1 Pro or max chip. Not a standard M1. The max is probably overkill for a hobbiest but the M1 Pro is a good balance. Lots of video cores and memory.

Don’t even bother with the MacBook Air. You will want a pro. Even with a basic M1 chip or m2 chip you want one with a fan. Fanless models heat throttle.

Also youtube has a ton of Final Cut how to vids. And save some Pennie’s for a camera too lol

Not A FCP user myself but I have one of these KB short-cut covers for my editing keyboard and it is a lifesaver. Also Youtube is a great place to start looking into editing. I learned Lightroom/Photoshop that way and know a bunch of Premiere pro stuff.

You may also wanna look at DaVinci Resolve. It’s free and works on windows or Mac OS so it’s flexible. Also it’s a full pro toolset with the option to purchase the full tool set if you like it. It’s also used by lots of professional shops like tv stations and such

@Honeeecombs I use FCP and it can be intimidating at first. Especially when setting up your project, library, events and all to make a video. The cool think about FCP is that you don't need to use all the fancy technical tools that come with it. You can start out simple by just dropping a video clip into the timeline and do some minor edits, fades and effects and have a cool video in the end.

I have not used DaVinci like @Newbie2this mentioned but I hear it is pretty good too.

The best thing to do it get some clips and drop them in the timeline and start playing with them and the tools to learn. Make sure you have a backup of the clip just in case.

A final tip is make sure your MacBook or Mac has the resources to run FCP properly. I recommend to start with the minimum recommendations for memory and all and if you can up it a little. Also SSD (solid state drive) is way faster and better for eating that a traditional drive.

Having said that don't let worry if you are just at the minimums or have a traditional drive. They fun part is creating and discovering. Enjoy and have fun with it.

JT