Does a change in diaper brands cause rash

Archives1

Staff member
I've noticed when I temporarily change diaper brands, I tend to get a slight rash by the leg gathers, then it goes away after a day or two.

I used DEPENDS diapers for 2 weeks and I didn't have no rash,now I'm usung pads but at some days I have to chane about 4 to 6 times in a day,it's never the same,Kgel eercise does help

What I did with my diapers ( you might think that I'm cheep )I cut them in 2,you need only the front part of it and it worked for me.

You can use a coconut oil for your rush. If does hv an antibacterial property and hydrate skin very well. Apply only thin layer to your skin and massage the rush area until oil is absorbed by skin well. Good luck

I’ve had this happen to me, but then again I do have very sensitive skin, I usually just treat the rash and roll with it.

@LiveLifeJR Different diaper brands may ride higher or lower than the previous brand. If it rides higher, the skin may have been moist and tender. The skin takes a few days to firm up and adjust to the new pressure. This may be true for both the inner leg bands and outer (thigh) leg bands.

Teddy 2834: Brilliant...I should have come up with that idea. I will give you credit for it three times in a row and then I will own that one!!! Rayl...keep on keepin on!

A word of caution - Depend pullups and Poise Maxi Pads (womens) use crystal like fine particles which can cause small cuts in the delicate private areas. But Caroli and Northshore do not, just try cutting one over a dark piece surface to make sure there are not fine sand like particles.

Yes I am speaking from experience cutting them and thankfully, I did not use the cut pieces.

Wow @thudson1965, that is really something! :O I don't ordinarily use Depend pull-ups although I have in the past. I prefer Prevail and Alyne for now. As far as I know they don't have that defect. But thanks for the warning about those fine particles that can cause small cuts in areas where one does not want cuts!!!! And of course experience is the best teacher!!

Depend products are fine as long as you do NOT cut them. The crystals are how Depend pullups absorbs about 12 to 16 ounces. Depend products are good (and inexpensive) for people dripping such as after a prostatectomy.

@billliveshere By the way from your comments during the Black Friday Sale thread, I tried the Caroli pullups. The performance for the price is great. I did find that I leaked one night out of the ten due to volume and stream strength. I switch back to using the Northshore Go Supreme for now, but when I get better, I will use the other 30 Caroli. I tried them as part of Norton Hurley (nortonhurley.com) black Friday sale. They had a $10 coupon and free shipping (which I think is normal for order over a certain amount). I also purchased a few of the different size Caroli Pads for future use - Hoping for that break through in improvement.

Thank you for the recommendation.

The fine particles/crystals you are talking about are the Super Absorbing Polymer (SAP) that almost all absorbent products have to a greater (premium brands) or lesser extent. The SAP is what locks in the moisture by swelling into a gel and it does not give it back up even when pressed. This is unlike the other part of the absorbent material which is pulp made up of several types of fibers that absorbs liquid quickly but will let it back out when pressed.

It's my understanding that there are several types of SAP, one of which are crystals and I believe the other is actually ball shaped.

I agree that it's not really a good idea to cut a diaper open as the SAP will get all over everything and especially when it's wet it is really sticky and can clog up a drain very quickly.

I thought about the cut diaper idea but I usually use about 3/4 of my diapers on a daily basis. If I would use a half diaper it would leak all over my underclothing as my urine output is very high. Those sap crystals once saturated are very sticky.

Sorry about that,the make TENAis the best,that's what they use in hospitals over here in province of Quebec, but they are more expensive