Doctor recommendation for AUS please

Archives1

Staff member
Could anyone please recommend a doctor in the Maryland area to have an AUS implanted? I had my prostate removed in 2020 with no radiation required but have been completely incontinent even after pelvic floor therapy. Thanks

Joer
I went to Dr Jay Simhan at Fox Chase outside Philadelphia. This is a procedure that he specializes in. That’s all I could suggest is that if you go to someone who does a lot of these procedures Sloan Kettering in New York and Duke in North Carolina or two other places I’ve been told do a lot
Boomer

@joer You should be clear on risks of any surgery before moving forward. Have you tried condom catheters? I am hesitant to have this surgery.

Joer
Those who are advising you to be clear of the risks of AUS surgery are not wrong. As with all surgery, there are significant risks however, if you explore it and decide the benefits outweigh the risks as I did, you should definitely go ahead with the procedure It was life-changing for me, but you do need to educate yourself before making the decision. I would definitely do it all over again despite the risks And soreness for a week or two.
Boomer

It was life changing for me as well. Mine was performed by Dr Andrew Peterson at Duke. He specializes in this procedure.

I asked earlier but didn’t flesh out that the PROACT procedure (which I haven’t had done, but a friend has successfully), when compared with AUS,is minimally invasive, easier to perform, Medicare approved, and easily adjusted with fewer removals. Its main drawback is its relative novelty - think it’s been around 2-3 years. I had a consult at MAYO, and the very young urologist had to Google it. Wasn’t encouraged by that, but have been in touch with 2 other urological practices that do the PROACT. I’m reluctant to consider the AUS because of its invasiveness, inconsistent success, need for replacement, and continued need for pads, as described by many on this blog. So do your homework joer and good luck in the struggle most of the guys here cope with.

I had the AUS device implanted by Dr.John T Barnard at WVU Ruby memorial hospital in Morgantown WV. It has been life changing for me also and I highly recommend Dr.Barnard. I have been completely dry since activating the device and would absolutely do it again. Good luck with whatever you decide.