Doc is pushing botox

Archives1

Staff member
So my new urologist is pushing me to both have a new urodynamic test done and pending its results consider Botox. On paper it looks great 60-90% successes, of that the possibility of incontinence vanishing entirely during the 6 month duration. 6-12% chance of urinary retention requiring a catheter means 88-94% chance it won’t happen. 20% chance of uti, but that means 80% chance that won’t happen.

All that being said, I feel like a magnet for the side effects whenever I take medication, the prospect of the promised pain of the procedure and the absolute dread of using a catheter to urinate is causing me to really question if I want to try this, even with my insurance covering the procedure. I have had some horrible incidents with indwelling catheters and while this is a different type of catheter, the idea of sticking a catheter up my urethra at all makes me nauseous.

Am I being ridiculous for something that has a 90% chance of not happening?

You are not being ridiculous. I’ve been going back and forth between steroid injections in my pelvic floor or Botox. The possible side effects of the Botox scare me so much I can’t get myself to do it. Even though my urogynocolegist says it’s the best solution.

So I totally get what your feeling. The self catheter thing stresses me out

Sending racers your way though for a peaceful decision!

Hey @Tarlton;

No - I think your feelings are quite valid. I think anybody would worry about being in that small percentage (as I am unfortunately one of those people who worry alot. But Ive always been the guy that has ALWAYS gotten sick after getting a flu shot - so I believe the odds are never in my favor haha)

Anyway, I've never experienced Botox. It's an option for me in regards to my bladder spasms I think - but my urologist has been the type of guy that has always sided against it for younger patients (as I'm in my late 20's) maybe an option to prepare me for the future.

If i was in your boat - I don't know much about you; but if your doctor/urologist is recommending the Botox and is weighing the pros against the cons - it may help your symptoms of leakage/incontinence which overall will improve your overall quality of life.

I'm actually laying in bed thinking about this now myself as I am suffering from painful spasms at the moment.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it goes - we'll be thinking of you.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

you have the feelings you have.

So I totally get what your feeling. The self catheter thing stresses me out however, do take a moment to tally up your blessings. you can afford health care.n you have a care team
Dkscray255 said:
You are not being ridiculous. I’ve been going back and forth between steroid injections in my pelvic floor or Botox. The possible side effects of the Botox scare me so much I can’t get myself to do it. Even though my urogynocolegist says it’s the best solution.

Sending racers your way though for a peaceful decision!

Before I had procedure done about 15 months ago my urologist told me since I was a sexually active guy and in pretty good shape, I would be better with a full recovery. He also said there’s a slight chance I could fall into the small percentage of men who may never fully recover. Well guess what? I’m in that small percentage. I’m not telling you not to do it, but for me I would not do it. My doctor already mentioned Botox but I’d rather continue doing the keagel exercises a little longer until hopefully there’s a better solution.

I use to get Botox every 3-4 months and it worked great several times, until it didn’t. The last 3 Botox injections gave me no relief from my pain. I waited a year and then asked my Urologist to try it again which she did last Friday. Since Saturday, I have been completely pain free. My bladder pain was excruciating so I am so happy that it’s working again. I’ll take the Botox injections for as long as they work.

you have the feelings you have. many people are not privileged to afford a procedure. Adverse reactions to meds {the correct term, not side effect} are rarely life-threatening, just inconvenient.

Explore hypnotherapy so yiu have tools to cope with any discomfort from the injection.

If I had insurance and a doc willing to shoot me up I'd try it.

Thank you for the responses. I do want to double check with my insurance because to be honest, it almost never covers anything. I have a 7k deductible to hit before it covers most things. This means that I am responsible for thousands annually for procedures and therapies for my child.

So when the agent on the phone said that Aetna would cover it, I was a little Leary. What had been most people’s experience with insurance and Botox? I think read in one place that without insurance the injections are 2k and that most people could expect to pay between $300 and $1500. Is that accurate?

Tarlton,
I’ve been in kind of a similar situation, the biggest difference is I am already incontinent due to a spinal cord injury. The only thing I might gain is pain relief from the spasms & inflammation having neurogenic bladder with interstitial cystitis, so the pressure in my bladder can get very high at times, and the spasms can feel like a spike being driven into very sensitive areas!
I’ve dealt with this for 30 years after an accident at 27, and I used catheters for years until my urethra was so scarred it bleeds even with the smallest catheter. My last spine surgery I had with a Megamax on as the surgeon didn’t want to risk a secondary infection by inserting a catheter.
They wanted to perform a sphincterotomy at one point, but I refused thinking “TOMORROW” they’ll have the magic cure and it’ll be too late if I go through with the procedure. My thoughts now are that at least the Botox wears off if I don’t like the changes???
Also, I would check with the urologist’s billing office, they now must tell you the entire cost before you decide, so no surprises from billing!
Best of luck!

Tarlton said:
Am I being ridiculous for something that has a 90% chance of not happening?

Not at all. Your concerns are real and valid, and deserve to be addressed.

I've had many rounds of Botox, and I've corresponded online with a number of other people who've had it. Personally, I think the odds are above 10% that you'll have urinary retention, though I don't have actual statistics to back up that idea. Most people I've talked with have ended up having to self-cath at least for a while. On the other hand, I think the 20% UTI figure is high; I've been self cathing for years because of Botox, and I've had only one UTI (and that one was hospital-acquired - we all know there are lots of nasty bugs running around in hospitals!)

Having to insert a catheter is the elephant in the room with Botox. Again, all I can do is share my experience. I was terrified of having to self cath; I've had several cystoscopies and a urodynamics test, and having something put into my urethra was absolutely the worst part of any of that. When I had urodynamics, I was literally sobbing in terror as they put the catheter in (though, as it turns out, they used a very small one that wasn't really all that bad).

When I started getting Botox around 2014 or 2015, I was scared of having to cath. My urologist started me with a supply of red rubber catheters and lidocaine jelly, which was messy, hard to use, and not very comfortable. She also gave me some samples of hydrophilic catheters, and that made all the difference. They come with a sachet of water in the package, and you squeeze it to activate a lubricant coating on the catheter. I don't get the numbing of the lidocaine, but I quickly got to a point that I didn't need it. It took a week or two to get used to having to cath regularly, but my body quickly got used to the sensation, and that "I'm shoving a razor blade inside myself" feeling went away. Things that helped early on were going slow (I'd take five minutes or more to slowly insert the catheter) and using small catheters - I started with 12 Fr. (about 4mm diameter), but later once I was used to them went to 14, then 16, and now 18 Fr. (6mm diameter) because they're actually easier to put in because of the increased stiffness of the catheter.

When you get the Botox, I would suggest that you talk with your doctor ahead of time and insist on being given enough time to get numb before the procedure. Many doctors squirt lidocaine into your urethra, maybe put a little in your bladder, and immediately start the procedure. In my experience, it takes around 20 minutes for the lidocaine to really take effect, and the effect lasts around an hour, so you need some time to get numb before the scope. I've only had one doctor who left me in the exam room for a full half hour before doing the scope - and it was the easiest scope I'd ever had. He's since retired, and my new doctor isn't that patient, so I get him to prescribe lidocaine jelly in URO-Jet applicators (https://mms.mckesson.com/product/810958/International-Medication-Systems-76329301505). These are a convenient, sterile, and painless way to get the jelly in there, and I put it in before I leave the house to go to the appointment (my doctor's office is only ten minutes away, and tends to be very timely in their appointments). You could also squirt it in when you arrive at the office, which should give it enough time to get you numb. The key thing is to relax your urinary sphincter so that some of the jelly can get all the way into your bladder, not just into your urethra; this helps make sure the experience is as painless as possible.

I also have spare URO-Jets on hand in case I do get some irritation in my urethra from cathing. It's not common, but sometimes the eyelets in the catheter can rub a little bit the wrong way and it's not super comfortable, though it's far from being painful.

As you might guess, Botox works extremely well for me, enough that it's worth the very minor hassle of having to cath. I go through 6-8 catheters a day, and I'm at the point that I can stand in front of a urinal, cath, take it out, put it back in the package and wrap it up for disposal without anybody even realizing I'm doing anything more than just peeing normally. It's really that quick and easy.

I completely understand the fear of having to cath, especially if you've had Foleys put in before or you've had cystoscopy done. Again, I can only share my own experience, but it very quickly turned into a non-issue.

I hope this helps!

I had Botox. At first, it worked fabulously. Then it stopped working. I never had to self cath due to the Botox. I did. However, learn to self-cath to make life easier (for instance, with travel) and am so glad I can. The Botox is 30 injections in your bladder. Most are an irritation and a few are excruciating. My doctor infused my bladder and waited 30 minutes before he started. The first one was in the hospital and the rest were in the office. In spite of pain, I practically floated home with relief. I had to get Botox every 3 months, practically to the day. Maybe I will give it a try again since it has been maybe five years since it stopped working. Since I’m female, it may be different for men or may depend on your pain threshold. Good luck!

@Tarlton you are certainly right to be careful about side effects. For me botox caused complete retention the first time,but I found intermittent catheters a great improvement over diapers. The effect started to fade after 3 months. I hoped that a second dose of botox would make me dry again but it did nothing. I trued a third time with a higher dose, but again nothing happened. My urologist said there wasnt much point trying again. If you go ahead, I hope it works well.

Tarlton said:
Thank you for the responses. I do want to double check with my insurance because to be honest, it almost never covers anything. I have a 7k deductible to hit before it covers most things. This means that I am responsible for thousands annually for procedures and therapies for my child.

So when the agent on the phone said that Aetna would cover it, I was a little Leary. What had been most people’s experience with insurance and Botox? I think read in one place that without insurance the injections are 2k and that most people could expect to pay between $300 and $1500. Is that accurate?
I don't know about the cost without insurance. My Blue Cross insurance covers it. Like you, I have a high ddeductible (they pay 80% after the first $2k, and I have an out-of-pocket cap of $6800 which I hit every year because of my liver disease). Because I know I'm going to hit my out-of-pocket cap, I pay little attention to the prices of individual procedures.

You should be able to get a cost estimate from your doctor's office before you get the botox done.

Thank you again for all the advice. The research I have done pretty much ITAPilot mentioned. About 20% real world do deal with retention and have to self cath.

I just don’t think I can do it….. first and foremost, while 50% of those who get good affects may not need diapers, the averages I read said people on average went from 5.2 to 3.8 episodes per day. That would mean I would still have to be concerned about incontinence. But for me personally, I cannot shove a catheter into my urethra. The pain I experienced from a foley and from my original urodynamics have given me a permanent aversion.

I will hear what my urologist has to say, but my answer is leaving to no. I am also not ok with doing the surgery for the intersim. Diapers may suck, but at least I have almost 20 years of experience using them to manage.

At the end of the day, you have to make your own decision, and what's right for one person isn't necessarily right for another. If you aren't willing and able to self cath, then Botox may not be the right choice.

I did want to point out that I end up completely dry for around three to four months from each round of Botox. There's usually a 2-4 week period where my urgency starts picking up to the point that I need to wear diapers before I get the next round, but not needing diapers most of the time is really nice.

@Tarlton I don't think you're being OTT for being concerned. Getting out the house is such a mammoth task that I've basically just told healthcare providers that I can't afford any chance of complications as getting anywhere to get fixed would be too arduous. I'm possibly in the minority here in that my major issues are potentially temporary and compared with the risk of side effects and complications, I'd rather just treat my chronic mild issues with pads.