Do diaper covers help with leaks?

Archives1

Staff member
Do diaper covers help with leaks, especially at night for adult men? I’ve tried inserts & specialty diapers, but maybe the buckling around the leg is the problem?

I’m asking on behalf of my disabled adult son. Thank you all.

Yes diaper covers do help with leaks. Look up Gary diaper covers. A great product. How bad does his diaper leak?

I would say they help to a degree. Forsure check out Gary wear diaper covers like JWT stated above and they are at north shore FYI. . They are forsure the best yet I still find they still can leak unfortunately however that is probably user error meaning myself. Other people can offer their thoughts. Also make sure you get the right sizes as Gary wear are very specific in their sizing.

Hi, yes. I finally tried the Gary ones and they are excellent. They are also made of PUL so they breathe some and are not as hot as vinyl pants.
Make sure you use the measuring chart but these have been amazing so far. Thanks everyone for the recommendation.

Have a nice day everyone
Jim in MD

A diaper cover helps with leaks but also helps to keep a diaper in place and secure especially when a diaper is wet. I use Gary active brief works well.

Yes they help and they also seem to help by keeping the diaper fitting tighter. The ones I tried also held in a lot of heat and that made them uncomfortable for me. I havent tried the Gary ones mentioned above they may not have that issue.

@varch decent covers are hard to find in the UK, but I do wear something over the top when I'm away from home just in case, Phil

We’ll start with the Gary! Holding everything in place is a must.

JTW, the leaks vary from small to “holy crap!” I layer the bed with a chux/sheet setup, but a 2am void is uncomfortable.

Thank you again. This forum & everyone on it is so appreciated.

@varch I'm sure that many of us will understand what you mean by a "holy crap" moment and of course they tend to happen at inconvenient times. I hope you find some success with the suggestions made here. Phil

Stevewet said:
I wear net fixing pants to keep my nappies in place and plastic pants to help with leakage problems.

Net fixing sounds a bit cooler for summer. We’ll check those out. Thanks!

Diaper covers help, but unfortunately I don't think anything is perfect. I hope someday someone comes up with a product that will solve everyone's own unique problems, but I don't think that's likely.

Having said that I do think there are a lot of great products out there that really help, and Gary Wear diaper covers are definitely one of them.

I don't believe a diaper cover should be used be used to help keep the diaper in place.In my case they will leak around the legs if to tight.i wear a polyurethane cover with a small booster pad inside to catch any leaks.Haven't had wet pants ore bed since doing this

For my bowel incontinence a cover is pretty much a requirement. It buys me enough time to get away usually without the smell giving me away. When I’m not wearing a cover there’s no way to be discreet.

Clay said:
I don't believe a diaper cover should be used be used to help keep the diaper in place.In my case they will leak around the legs if to tight.i wear a polyurethane cover with a small booster pad inside to catch any leaks.Haven't had wet pants ore bed since doing this

A problem my son has is the darn diaper is halfway off his body from movement during his sleep. Another is it buckles around his thigh so the urine misses the absorbent part of the diaper. I’m hoping to hold it in place better. I figure leaks are inevitable, but even some important is helpful. We’ll keep trying.