Dimethicone wipes/gloves

Archives1

Staff member
Recently seen these dimethicone '3-in-1 continence gloves'. They are supposed to be a quick and easy way to clean up, moisturize and put a protective film on your intimate skin after an incontinence episode or when you change diapers etc. Seems a lot more practical to me than struggling with all kinds of creams and barrier films (also cheaper).
Anyone know whether products like that do the trick?

My dad who is 81 now also often suffers from dermatitis because of his incontinence, and his caregiver seems to complain about products in order to prevent/treat that rash as they tend to clog the diapers. She used zinc based products, but it's quite a mess... Thought about maybe buying some for her as well, will definitely ask her opinion about it.
Any caregivers or experience with caregivers that used this kind of thing before?

Sorry, no. Only used Cavillon or Sudocrem here. There is a mist version which you can spray, that might be easier for you?

I had never really heard of these, but I did a little research on the web after I saw your post. It looks to me like there are wipes produced by medical supply houses that are intended for patient use in nursing homes, etc., and these are quite expensive. But when I looked further, I saw there were other brands, targeted at babies and kids, and these were much less expensive. I compared the ingredients in several of these against the more "medical" brands, and they were essentially the same. The important ingredient - dimethicone - was the same in almost all the brands. I ordered wipes called Kandoo from Nehemiah Brands (through Amazon) and will let you know how they seem to work. (I ordered these because they are scented, which I actually prefer - most brands are unscented because of potential skin reaction or allergies.) In the past, I have generally used separate lotions for cleansing / disinfectant / moisturizing / barrier protection. It would be nice if these wipes do all of that. According to the ingredients, they should.

Thanks for this info, @IncoMan45. Dimethicone is the second ingredient (after petrolatum) in CeraVe, which my dermatologist says is the best moisturizer on the OTC market.

Thanks guys! Also very curious about your results btmsupnmd, I've also went ahead and ordered myself some from an actual incontinence brand (comfort shield). We'll see what it gives.

Do take into account that for the actual 'barrier film' effect, you need at least 3% dimethicone, otherwise it's just a claim apparently.

Take care!