Did parents use prefold style pin-on cloth diapers in 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's on their bedwetting children?

cm6768

I have a question. What style of protection did parents use on their bedwetting children during the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's? Did they have prefold style pin-on cloth diapers and plastic pants and if so where did parents purchase them - medical supply places, pharmacies, department store catalogs, etc. ?

In the 70ies I was put in “paper diapers” (rectangular, thick diapers). They looked like today’s booster pads, only thicker and not as soft. They were not plastic backed, so you needed plastic pants outside. I was too old (and big) for toddler diapers, but that was what easily available in super markets. And the shape of these was so that it was easy to double. I hated the diapers, and I think it was even more shameful that the diapers were intended for much younger users. Much of the shame and stigma I have felt related to diaper use arise (I think) from that period.

I was born in 1955. Lifetime bedwetter. In the 1960s, I had Curity gauze cloth diapers. They were 21 x 40 and had a pinked edge. They were intended for infants and toddlers, but I wore them all through my youth. When I was 13-14 and outgrowing them, my mom stitched several together to make a larger prefold diaper. I wore these for many years until I was in my 20s and found a hospital supplier of adult cloth diapers.

For plastic pants, my mom bought youth size Pat-a-cake pants at Woolworths.

Adult disposable diapers weren’t mass marketed until the 1980s. Attends was all that was available.

I still wear cloth diapers and plastic pants. I find them superior for comfort and protection.