Diapers vs. indwelling catheters

Archives1

Staff member
I thought that I was doing something out of the ordinary in alternating between briefs and indwelling catheters to manage bladder cramping/irritation vs. OAB/leaking. Since joining this board I came across a number of others that seem to be doing the same.

I'd like to understand what others are doing exactly and why. For how long have you been doing it? What has been your experience?

Speaking to my experience: I use indwelling catheters as little as possible, as I am worried about short term (UTI, urethral irritation) and long term effects (bladder cancer, stenosis). So when the cramping is bearable then I wear diapers or pads to manage leaking. But when the cramping gets too bad then I put in an indwelling catheter, sometimes for a few days, and sometimes for a week or two. This has been a good management approach for me for the past 2 or 3 years. It was not something that any of my doctors suggested. It's really something I figured out on my own. My doctors warned me about long term effects but ultimately let me make the choices that work best for me.

Thank you!

I'm right there with you Melipus. I have OAB and Interstital cystitis. This means my bladder is always in a state of distress. I'm in the bathroom 20-30 times a day with bladder leaks in between visits. I have found adult diapers to be a lifesaver for the leaks. As far as the urinary frequency I have been using Foley catheters. Foley catheters are not a perfect solution but it has been the best thing for me for over 2 1/2 years now. I began to have urinary issues in February/March 2014. In June of 2014 they got so bad I ended up in the ER getting a foley inserted. I was given a prescription shortly thereafter and have been using them ever since. I work usually 3 day stretches and have a series of days off. When I am off my wife, who is an ER nurse puts a foley in me so I can give my bladder a rest and sleep through the night. I also need a foley for any car rides more than 45 minutes or any other time we won't be near a bathroom. I wear diapers 24/7 even over the foley. I found it catches small leaks/discharge and provides the best support for me so my equipment isn't banging around. I have the foleys in usually for 3-5 days at a time but have had it in as long as two weeks at a stretch. When it's out and I'm doing a long stretch at work I'm counting the minutes until I can get home so she can cath me. I've had 2 UTI's in 2 1/2 years. My Foley catheter care is exceptional. I'm using Bard Lubri-sil 100% silicone. I also swear by the statlock stabilization device. I'm still pretty active despite being a chronic Foley catheter user. I change my bags morning and night, leg bag for day and bedside bag at night. I always clean them with vinegar and water and alternate cleaning with bleach every couple days.