Diaper Rash

Archives1

Staff member
Hey guys

I was at the doc this morning and I have bad case of diaper rash. They put thick layer of Desiten from front to back.

Apparently you aren’t supposed to wipe it completely off between each change? I would clean it off completely and then put a thin layer on again.

What do you guys do? Like the doc I swear put it on so thick I could feel it once she put the brief on me and I sat up. Seems excessive but maybe I’m just not used to the feeling?

I do Desitin once daily after shower(the zinc one purple tube) This is on top of using Cavillon 3M spray The spray is a barrier and works great, need to do 2-3 layers of Cavillon and you need a good layer of Desitin. I also use Caldescene cornstarch powder at every change. For wet diapers, I just change and add Caldescene, no wipe or anything. For "other" clean ups I will reapply Deisitin and Cavillon as needed, usually just Desitin. Its a pain but so is diaper rash which I rarely have. Good luck

@Dkscray255 I don’t always wipe it all the way off, either. It’s very hard to get it totally removed and doing so seems to remove the new skin the cream creates and protects. I make sure it’s all the way off once a week. I use Calmoseptine. Desitin stinks too much and doesn’t really help me. Note that @totalinco said he uses the spray AND Desitin, not just the spray. The spray is expensive.

I’ll be blunt, hope that’s okay with everyone. I think Desitin works best on a raw butthole that’s irritated after a long day of diarrhea, but Calmoseptine works best in the cracks where the diaper elastic goes, between your legs and your groin.

I tried Cavillon cream; never had any recovery with that one. I still haven’t tried the Cavillon spray yet. First I put on Calmoseptine then I add the prescription anti-yeast powder, Nystatin. I find far greater relief from Calmoseptine than Nystatin. Some days, just using deodorant/anti-perspirant to keep the area dry works well enough for me during the day, but at night I like the Calmoseptine.

Also of note, last year, I had a severe yeast infection diaper rash that spread all over my groin and my legs, and lasted for months. I had to take a high oral dose (300mg) of Diflucan for about a month to get rid of it. Initially, I went to an urgent care clinic, then I went to my PCP, and finally, I went to my dermatologist, who knew exactly what to do. My urologist didn’t know what to do; I had called them, and they told me to go to my dermatologist.

A tip for all, when I apply Calmoseptine, I always wear a rubber glove. I don’t want that stuff underneath my fingernails!

@snow thanks for the info! My rash is actually right inside the labia and then all the way to the back through the anus and a little past.

So today I’ve changed my diaper since being changed by the doc in the office this morning 3 times. Most pain is still in the labia. And as of now I just caked on the desitin. It’s starting to itch so maybe that means it’s healing.

I think I go back Thursday to see how it’s healing

I used Desitin a lot at first. I was getting rashes a lot. But then I realized they went away once I started drinking more.

Even though I have incontinence, I still make sure I drink a lot. It makes my urine dilute, low-odor, and non-irritating.

Yes, I change more often, but I don’t smell and don’t get a rash.

(Off topic: The really weird thing is, I have more leaks with concentrated pee in smaller amounts than dilute pee in large amounts.)

@JustAGuy I fully agree what you said and have exactly the same experience! Although I have to wear 24/7 protection for my urge IC I didn't have any rashes since nearly a year, although not using any kind of cream or powders.

I also take care of a reasonable of water intake, I don't smell at all and don't get any rashes. I wear proper protection, so I change in the morning to my daytime diaper, change usually around 2 PM in another one and in the evening into my night diaper.

As my urges come up quite often, I have usually a lot of small amounts and very seldom a large one.

@Hbic60 you guys got me curious now on the water intake. I pushed the fluids yesterday and I think I could tell a difference!

I have to admit though, when I push the fluids right now I have zero control of my bladder it seems like. So I stop even attempting to rush to the bathroom. My hope is everything will calm down eventually

With bowel/bladder incon I was told the opposite, I was instructed to clean as much off as I can and reapply with each change (especially in the summer when heat rashes add a third threat to my skin).

I've learned a few tough lessons that could've easily been prevented by paying closer attention to my skin.

@Dkscray255 Sorry to hear you have a UTI; those are never fun! And the location of your rash sounds painful; I can really imagine how that feels. I wish you the best for a quick recovery from both your UTI and your rash.

I should note regarding the water intake. I don’t have frequency, but rather under-activity. So I want to make clear that I am not implying that what worked for me would be possible or helpful for everyone here. Find what works for you.

I find that keeping the diaper area shaved and cleaning up thoroughly with baby wipes during each diaper change works very effectively to prevent diaper rash. However, if a rash starts, applying athletes' foot cream during each change clears it up quickly.

@Dkscray255 That's similar for me. If I limit my fluid intake strongly my urge IC is getting much better , but for which price? It's really not healthy to be in a more or less dehydrated status - this affects my well-feeling a lot, I can't concentrate so good any more and it has negative impact on my blood pressure / heart beat rate - I have to take care of that after a heart stroke and surgery 2 years ago.

So I accepted the fact that my IC is getting worse, but my overall health situation is much, much better being well hydrated. The bladder IC is easy to handle and doesn't really impact my regular life, I myself (and my wife) got used to that fact.

My doc suggested also - if I would accept the side effects - he could subscribe some meds which probably could decrease the urge for a certain amount, but which couldn't cure my IC completely. I decided not to go that path as I don't want to add further meds to the 5 I have to take every day for control of my blood circle status - he fully understood.

So, as I don't have any pain (as long as I don't try hard to hold back an urge) and I'm meanwhile used to feel comfortable wearing protection I'm OK with my status!

@JustAGuy I didn’t know about Desitin but I have also learned that about Calmoseptine. I don’t use it every night but I certainly use it on the day, and and the day after, I shave.

@Hbic60 It sounds like you’ve reached a good, healthy balance of hydration, something I’m working on. I agree that being dehydrated amplifies concentration trouble - something I should probably be more concerned about myself; thank you for the reminder. I’m going to see an endocrinologist for hormone problems but I’m going to try to figure out some other solutions such as hydration with him/her.

snow said:
@Hbic60 P.S. Your English is excellent!
Thanks for you compliment! I'm working since more than 20 years in a worldwide operating company in a multi-national IT team. English is our common corporate language, so over the years it became nearly a second mother language to me.

I'm glad that I found this NAFC forum, it's much more open-minded and polite than the existing German forums!