Diaper free

Archives1

Staff member
Hi, there is a program for parents potty training to allow their kids to be “diaper free.” Basically, what it is is you learn how and when your kid goes and then you learn to put them on the toilet before that happens (like half hour increment.) I called one of the people advocating it and asked how an adult could do it (with Incontinence) they suggested to learn basically your “bathroom schedule” what time of day or the intervals in which one has accidents and to build a routine for using the bathroom around that. I have little leaks a few times within an hour. It seems fairly sporadic. Any thoughts about this and if it seems possible for an adult and if it’s worth trying?

Depending on the underlying problem, scheduled voiding can retrain your bladder. It can also help to avoiding flooding. But, as I said, it depends on the problem. May not work for everyone but it can’t hurt.

Ben, I do timed voids. I don't think I would be comfortable going out without protection, but I do find that I can go even if I don't feel like I do. I still have leakage, but it is probably the difference between me wearing disposable underwear to work vs. wearing a full brief. It doesn't do much with my night issues, and I have resolved to wearing a full brief and getting a full night's sleep moreso than having to change my sheets several times a night

I also do a schedule, NO longer then 2 hours in between visits. Dramatically cut down on daytime wetting episodes for me problem, mainly urgency due to back injury. If you don't allow it to get out of control, it won't, for most anyhow...

For me timed voiding could help but the issue is some days I have no control issues and other days I am leaking seemingly every 10 minutes so it makes it difficult to know what it is going to be like for me

My bladder does what it wants to do, when it wants to do it. Thankfully I am not completely without control, but sometimes it is close, and that's unpredictable, so timed voiding wouldn't wzork for me.

Ben
You bring up a great point here. For some, our bodies generally follow a fairly consistent "voiding pattern". In other words, we tend to either void our bladders or move our bowels at relatively predictable times throughout the day. For those fortunate enough to see these patterns, simply planning bathroom breaks around (or slightly before) these times can be an effective way to reduce or even eliminate incidents occurring outside of the bathroom. Often these patterns are relative to certain daily events like taking medicine, drinking coffee, having a meal, etc.
As many have already commented, this is a less effective approach for those that have not been able to identify any sort of voiding pattern. In any event, most people can benefit to some degree by making regular attempts to void even when the urge is not present. This often results in at least a partial emptying that usually helps reduce the volume of release during the unplanned voids.
For those that have never experimented with this, I encourage you to try it. It is free to investigate and certainly can't have any sort of detrimental effect.
To be clear, this doesn't usually eliminate the need for protection... but may help reduce either the frequency of incidents or the severity of them.
Hope that is helpful!
Ken

Here's another thought that should be seriously considered (before the leakage): My surgery was 2010. I now use a soft silicone external device that keeps my leakage to one liner per 1 or 2 days (normally 2-3 per day). It does give me a more normal daily routine versus the clamps and straps alternatives. I fear internal device alternatives are meant to be replaced in a few years, which I choose not to experience. Find that external device that suits you is my suggestion. Best wishes. Fynlee dglisan@comcast.net