Diabetes and incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Anyone else like me incontinent due to having diabetes? I started having continence problems in my late 40's and after various tests at the doctors and urology clinic my diagnosis was that due to having uncontrolled diabetes for some time I had ireversable nerve damage and would be incontinent for the rest of my life.

I hadn't heard that one. My diabetes is only 5 years old and I'm over 70. I take very low amount of insulin. Have so many conditions that intersect with diabetes the Docs don't bother to try to pinpoint, as it may be several or may not. Mine is "guaranteed" to be for life, but it is under control. This week the Doc put me on a "water pill" and said that will make the incontinence increase. He didn't say how much, said it depended on the individual. They insist my Peripheral Neuropathy is caused by the Diabetes - never mind the PN came first and was caused by trauma. I don't argue with them, anymore. Both cause nerve damage, so what you said makes sense to me. Controlling my diet for diabetes seems to help. A new CPAP lets me sleep without so making awakenings to pee. Do you have Sleep Apnea? My "old" CPAP machine was really old, and Medicare wanted a new Sleep Study, anyway, and I was long-eligible for a new machine. Better machine, lots quieter, better mask type, and the machine/makes don't dry out my mouth like old one did. Does that make sense? It works, so I'm not going to fix it.