Deodorant

Archives1

Staff member
Just wondering. Does anyone use deodorant and if so do you recommend any in particular. It seems like they don't really sell anything like just deodorant anymore. Just antiperspirant (read all the labels) and I don't think I'd want to use something like that down there since it is not a sweating issue.

The cream I use has a pleasant smell, but you have to be careful, I tried a cream suggested by my urology department and it smelled like cheap perfume. After a few minutes I had to wash it off. As for deodorant, I have never tried one below the waist line. If you find one, it would be good to hear about it. Phil

There is one for below the waist called Lume ive seen advertised. I a
Dont like chemical stuff tend to wash a lot

I’ve used some barrier creams that have gentle scent to them, and I’ve also powders but have noticed they do t help like I thought they would. But overall I just continue to use wipes mostly

Do not I repeat Do not use Antiperspirant down there.. almost all Antiperspirant has aluminum in it that is made to block your sweet. The issue is that unlike barrier cream it does not stop infections and can actually cause it. I have gotten a staph infection down there before from trying the deodorant with antiperspirant thing.. Not some where you want a staph infection trust me.

Barrier creams. Now why didn't i think of that? Try dedicated pharmacies, safety companies, paint or construction supply places. Look for places that carry solvents. In Legitimate Theater supply places, we used to get & use cold cream for under stage makeup to help with removal after performances (Make-up isn't good for skin and pores), and for skin protection. Not sure of it's liquid-repellency or odor control, but cold cream sometimes came with mild smells like rose. Come to think, Witch Hazel used to be available at "compounding pharmacies". My mom had it mixed with glycerine as a hand cream, skin creme. Before i got serious about safety when using oil-based paints and went to vinyx or nitrile gloves from auto-supply places (Exam Gloves, just stronger) and the solvents to thin or remove them, i used something called (maybe) "Glove In a Bottle".
The Aluminum used in antiperspirant is a suspect in Alzhiemers and/or another in brain-memory deterioration that appears in old age. There are some natural deodorants minus most of the chemicals, and even "no-scent" types. Then there is baking soda in those, usually, but the powder cakes in sweat.
Any of you medical types should correct any errors I've made.

@etamilbus if you do find a product to try, I suggest that you try on a small piece of skin first. I recently had some barrier cream prescribed by my doctor, I applied it on the whole nappy area straight away. Unfortunately, the geranium oil in it caused contact dermatitis and a lot of my skin peeled off, not pleasant! Cheers Phil