Defining Incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
I think we are too strict about defining incontinence for women at least. I mean, being honest, the female bladder is iffy in general. Add on to this that most women dislike using airplane or highway toilets and you have an issue! So many of my friends restrict drinks when traveling to avoid disgusting highway or airplane toilets. This isn't healthy. It seems to me that given how nice the available products have gotten, it makes sense for women in general to wear diapers when traveling. It's healthier and more convenient. What does everyone think?

I don't believe it's only a female issue. Men can have similar concerns for a variety of reasons. In my case,it's from a long history of bladder retention,bladder diveticulum,and prostatectomy for prostate cancer. Diapers become a much easier form of management compared to drugs and/or additional surgeries and appliances...just my opinion

I agree it's not just a female issue. My only point is, no woman is 100% in the bladder department so all should use diapers sometimes. What do you think?

Well incontinence is the involuntary loss of urine so using a diaper doesn't necessarily equal incontinence although in all of our cases it does. I can't say one way or another as I am a man if women would be better off using diapers or nots in certain situation personally I often need protection of some kind due to my urge incontinence so when I have accidents other people don't know about it

Yeah, when travelling lots of us women and men start decreasing our fluid intake so we won't have to go to nasty bathrooms or places where bathrooms are inaccessible or locked or where ya can't remember the too long key code at Wendys or McDonalds or some Starbucks. I saw a man ask the clerk three times for the number and frankly I thought the number was too long.
Diapers or pads still are not more healthy for me. Urinary Tract Infection chances increase for me with pads and diapers. So I still get dehydrated.
Because of dehydration then people get tired, cranky, and irritable and there are other issues from dehydration.
How do we get more clean toilets for travelling?
This is also where we must take our portable toiletry supplies where some of us have to catheterize to help prevent a stress and or urge flood.
Pretty soon we will be packing bathroom cleaner with the rest of our toileting gear.
Hand sanitizer anyone?

I guess that can happen but for most women, a diaper is a healthier option I think. If you use them carefully it's fine. Also good to get high quality ones.

I also have to use pads for stress incontinence. For my urge incontinence no diaper or pad works for me. I will try to do anything I can to prevent urge incontinence and some of my plans have been working - including being dehydrated cause I don't want to lose it or get an infection. I know its not good for my overall body.
The pessary has been working for in between dribbles that are neither stress incontinence nor urge incontinence just plain incontinence and has significantly helped things in between.
Sorry men, pessaries are out for you. I don't know what would work for men's in between dribbles.

I don't have in between dribbles hear just plain urge incontinence caused by an overactive bladder I have never been to a fast food restaurant that has kept restrooms locked so can't comment of that but on a bad day I am prone to large accidents so I typically wear protection then. Personally despite the urge incontinence I've found dehydrating while making me a little less prone to an accident due to not needing to go as much is not worth how crappy it makes me feel and also being very active I need to stay hydrated

Dehydration concentrates the urine. Though there may be less of it, it is stronger and more irritating to the bladder. Although dehydrating can be helpful in continent people in certain situations, and might help with stress incontinence, it typically increases or intensifies OAB problems. Also, it is generally not well tolerated and is actually not good for you and can be detrimental to kidney and other bodily functions over the long term. Your body needs water!

As for diaper use when desired vice required (i.e. Not incontinent but for convenience as you describe)... that is a personal decision only you can make, just as it is for those of us who use them as part of their incontinence management.

I agree it's a personal decision of course. I just think that most women would benefit from it but have misconceptions about diapers. They think that they smell, feet wet etc. The companies should actually not only market them for incontinence.

I think it would be great if the companies marketed their products as a more hygenic or convenient thing than using a toilet solely because I think that might reduce the stigma and embarrassment that comes with needing to wear diapers and other incontinence products due to incontinence. But also I wish the companies that actually make good products and not the cheap products that are the most easily available would get more of the market share and be easier to get but alas that likely won't happen so for now it is best to manage the best I can

I completely agree! If you have to sit, as women do, wearing a diaper when traveling is more hygienic. I do not know why they don't advertise that way. I know most women would come around to the idea after thinking through it.

For women… Pads must be With Side Wings, Long, Super Absorbent Pads to be worn day or night to protect underwear. No side wings no underwear protection from either urine, or something else. Foolish to try short and skimpy thin skinny pads…. you will be wet and then you will be burned on the sides and your underwear you'll get messy. I am advocating a boycott of products that are substandard and cause side leaks and there is a lengthy list of brands that are making and selling nasty get wet underwear products. Also pads should be free of color dyes and fragrance free for the best freshness without causing allergies and other reactions.