Custom Support Harness for Long-Haul Flying: Risks/Ideas/Advice, etc.

Archives1

Staff member
Thanks to everyone who helped with my post last year when I was looking for advice on adult diapers for long-haul air travel. My situation has changed in last six months and I'm sort of back at square one with understanding what I might need.

Basically, due to my degenerative spinal condition, muscle issues, and chronic pain, I am finding sitting more difficult. When flying I use a special support harness to help with these issues and while it's been a huge help, it now needs modifying to provide me the correct support and positioning. The changes have me confused regarding how those modifications will affect (or not) my wearing of a diaper on flights.

The harness is having two strap loops added which will fasten around my hips meaning they will apply pressure (and have to be reasonably tight so I cannot slide down in the seat) right where the lower edge/leg holes of any diaper would fit around my legs. I am very concerned that will compromise the diaper and possibly cause leaks - either through compressing all the absorbing material and therefore lowering the amount it could hold, or that it will cause the diaper edges to get rolled/folded/messed up and allow leaks.

While it's not the same, the closest thing I can think of would be a climber wearing a diaper under their harness. Has anyone had to deal with using some sort of support harness which might cause this problem, or been climbing while wearing a diaper? If so, was it an issue?

Is there any other advice or recommendations that might help? I know there are various diaper covers, cloth diaper options, and other such things, but would any of those help?

The more I've thought about it, the more I am coming to realize it might be a situation where the only way to know is to just do what I think I will work and try it. That said, I cannot think of a more embarrassing or horrible situation if something were to go wrong during the flight.

Any help - if at all possible - would be very appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

If you can, try and wear the harness outside of your diapers. Try to simulate worst case scenario. Experiment with several different ways to maximize confidence. Good luck

Thanks for the help artiejr.

I'll try to do what I can to simulate the worst case scenario, but I'm not sure how much I can really do. The harness needs an aircraft-like seat (e.g. it won't work on a dining chair) to test properly which I don't have access to.

And, given how the harness is being adapted there is no real way to position the loops, or the diaper, away from one another - at least not without making one or both of them ineffective.

I appreciate the help, I really do, but I don't think I can really do much "experimenting" to be honest.

Try to do the best you can with what you work with. It may be difficult to get it exactly, but you should be able to get close enough. Good luck

It's not the same as a climbing harness (I used to climb a lot years ago, and I know what those harnesses are like) but I do wear a fall protection harness pretty regularly at work. It has straps right at the edges of my diaper, and I haven't had any problems with it rolling up the edges or compromising the integrity of the diaper. It doesn't have any straps that cut across the middle of the diaper, so compressing the padding isn't an issue.

The biggest problem with it is that it squeezes everything in a way that I feel like makes my diaper much more noticeable under my clothes. That's probably just my paranoia talking, though. I doubt anyone is studying my crotch to decide if I'm wearing an adult diaper or not.