Cranberry juice and infections

Archives1

Staff member
I just heard on NPR that cranberry juice does not help bladder infections. In fact, it will make things worse due to the high sugar content. The best thing to do is to drink a lot of water and see a doctor.

I in my humble opinion agree because the acidity of the drink is irritating also.
A bladder infection wint go away eith over the counter sruff but you can buy pills to minimize discomfort

One thing that is amazing and helps with everything from mental clarity to healthy guts is WATER.
Drink a glass everytime you think about a juice soda coffee or snack food.
It will not cause you to pee excessively, your body will gladly put it to use in your system first.

My nurse suggested a daily vitamin c tablet instead of cranberry. Vit c is water soluble, so it makes sense to drink plenty of water to go with it. It seems to have helped me, but I don't know if there is any evidence from other sources that it helps? Phil

I recently saw a urologist for my recurrent uti’s. (4 since January). I learned a lot from her (even tho I am a retired RN). She did tell me to take two supplements that were Cranberry. I don’t have the bottles here but I think 1 was Theracran. And one was Dianase ( I have to look that up at home). Of course. Drinking lots of water. For women, urinating before and after sex. She also said that women in their 60’s and 70’s have many more issues with Uti’s. Wish I had my handout to share with you all. I just had an ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys and will be having a cystoscopy in about a week.

I like cranberry juice. It has normally kept me from getting uti’s. It won’t fix it if you have one. You will need antibiotics for that part. Thought it kept your urine at a better ph level.

@jrpoorman if you like it and it helps then I would carry on. I don't like the taste, which is why I went for vitamin c instead. Phil

My mother swore by cranberry juice and when she was in the nursing home and couldn’t take care of herself she didn’t have access to her own things regularly so she would only get her juice and meds when we would bring it. My mother had MS and eventually died of an infection caused by a UTI. She was a huge water and cranberry juice drinker and was hardly ever sick until she had to go to a nursing home. I would suggest to just find what works for you and your system and stick with it!! It’s not easy or always fun but it is necessary!!

A supplement that I use is D-mannose powder. It seems to help with the infection problems I was having. I drink a spoonful mixed in water every night before bed. If you want to see more info here's a link to a clinical trial summary report

Thank you for sharing this!
A friend of mine in the USA has reoccurring uti and is a pharmacist. I will ask if she knows of this in the USA and can provide insight as to availablity.
It may also help her, poor girl.