Continence Nurse

Archives1

Staff member
I have been to a urologist before but I don't think I"ve ever seen a continence nurse.Unless the nurses in the urologist office are considered ones. What does a continence nurse help you with? Will they help you decide which incontinence product is best for you to use and help to show you how to fit it on if needed. Just wondering.

From my experience they help with recommending ways to manage the problem like recommending incontinence products and kegal exercises and other solutions like timed voiding.

They won't show you how to apply them will they? I find it difficult to put a brief diaper on myself which is why I wear pull up diapers all the time.

Hi @mhart82, I think they will show you how to apply them if you ask and explain what the problem is. The nurses are there in an advisory capacity to answer questions about kegel exercises and products and procedures etc. Of course if you discuss being prescribed medications they will refer you to the doctor.

@mhart82 They are a separate service from urology.

My continence nurse measured me up for containment products, showed me how to self catheterise, supervised me catheterising and wrote to my GP.

They can help show you how to wear protection the best way and can refer you to other services such as a dietician or physiotherapist or occupational therapist.

The incontinence nurse did everything that doctor who responded/reported to your tests didn't do. It can be the nurse in the tests (for me, it was her) or the urologist's office. They know the entire problem, the possible multiple next steps, suggest the next steps and see how you respond to their suggestions, give you the referrals, give you the questions you didn't know to ask. That's what they deal with and they've heard it all. They aren't as expensive as the doctors, so are given the latitude and more time to deal directly with a patient - less government bureaucrats and bean counters on their (ahem) asses.

Continence nurses (like all other nurses) are worth their weight in gold! :D When you're in the hospital or just at a doctor's clinic for an hour or so, your nurses are your best friends there!

After seeing a urologist I was then refered to the continence nurse for practical help in managing my problem. I see her now and then still.

Hi @Stevewet, it sounds like you have a good relationship with your continence nurse and that's the way it is supposed to be! She is definitely one of your biggest advocates and supporters! :D

Generally in the U.S., there is no such thing as a “continence nurse.” You’ll notice that those on the forum who refer to such a person, are from the UK.

For learning to put on a diaper in the U.S., you would have one session with an Occupational Therapist.

In general, nurses are nurturing while doctors are analytical and scientific, often autistic and unsympathetic. Nurses are the ones who “care.” So no matter what you’re getting care for, seek out the nurses most of the time.

I think I have been quite lucky, as snow said doctors can come across as very unsympathetic, robots without compassion or feeling, however my urologist is quite humerus and helpful but brazen with it. The continence nurse I have seen has always been really helpful especially getting hold of the waiting list team to get me in for more bladder Botox during lockdown. I was so thankful for her assistance.

My urologist’s office is quite large with several offices. They have an entire incontinence center (even has a separate entrance). This is where professional (mostly) nurses deal with self catheterizing and similar issues. I’ve only been to the center once after a short term catheter.

Since my prostate surgery I’ve come to rely on my occupational therapist. She does biofeedback training and appropriate exercise routines. I have had a marked improvement since she started working with me. I go twice a week.

I really recommend PT.